|Defunct||April 29, 2014|
10188 Telesis Court|
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Number of locations||10|
Accelrys, Inc. developed and distributed laboratory informatics software solutions.
In April 2010, Accelrys announced it had agreed to merge with Symyx Technologies Inc., completing the merger later in July of the same year. Accelrys incorporated Symyx ELN into its holdings and eventually turned to Thermo Scientific to help market Symyx Notebook. The name of Symyx ELN was later changed to "Accelrys ELN."
In May 2011, Accelrys announced it had acquired Swedish developer Contur Software. Accelrys cited the previous acquisition of Symyx and its ELN as filling a "high-end notebook" market, while the purchase of Contur and its ELN allowing Accelrys to offer an option for smaller organizations. On July 19, 2011, Contur Software, allowed to work as a separate entity, announced it had changed the name of its ConturELN to iLabber "to give our customers a better and clearer overview of our offering." This was a source of confusion, as Accelrys continued to refer to the product as "Contur ELN" on its website. (Though the company seemed to recognize this, in some of its documentation (PDF) referring to the software by both names.)
In January 2012, VelQuest Corporation — and with it its SmartLab ELN — was bought by and absorbed into Accelrys, with SmartLab becoming "Accelrys Lab Execution System", a laboratory execution system.
The company introduced Accelrys LIMS in March 2013.
On September 3, 2013, Accelrys acquired ChemSW, maker of chemical inventory management software. ChemSW stated in its press release its management team and employees would be retained, though it wasn't clear if ChemSW would continue to function as a separate unit or be absorbed into Accelrys.
On January 30, 2014, news broke that French 3-D software developer Dassault Systèmes SA had agreed to purchase Accelrys for almost $750 million, valued at $12.50 per share in cash, pending approval by Accelrys shareholders. On April 29, Dassault announced it had completed the acquisition "through a merger." The former Accelrys products would then be incorporated into a new Dassault product branding called BIOVIA.
Technology and products
Accelrys ELN, Accelrys LES, Accelrys LIMS, and Contur ELN/iLabber
Accelrys LES was a laboratory execution system that "delivers transformational productivity for QA/QC labs supporting common workflows such as material testing for recipes, stability testing, product release testing and post-release quality testing."
Accelrys LIMS was a laboratory information management system (LIMS) "purpose-built to manage 21st-century product and process informatics requirements with a specific focus on scale-up, manufacturing and compliance."
- "Dassault Systèmes Successfully Completes Acquisition of Accelrys". Dassault Systèmes SA. 29 April 2014. http://www.3ds.com/press-releases/single/dassault-systemes-successfully-completes-acquisition-of-accelrys/. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Accelrys, Inc. and Symyx Technologies, Inc. Announce Merger". Accelrys, Inc. 5 April 2010. http://ir.accelrys.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=539071. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Accelrys, Inc. Completes Merger with Symyx Technologies, Inc.". Accelrys, Inc. 1 July 2010. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140327060636/http://accelrys.com/about/news-pr/merger-0610.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) - Thermo Scientific". Thermo Scientific. http://www.thermoscientific.com/ecomm/servlet/productscatalog?categoryId=81853&storeId=11152. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook". Accelrys, Inc.. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131023114952/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/electronic-lab-notebook.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- McBride, Ryan (23 May 2011). "Accelrys buys Contur for $13M in another electronic lab notebook buyout". FierceBiotechIT. http://www.fiercebiotechit.com/story/accelrys-buys-contur-13m-another-electronic-lab-notebook-buyout/2011-05-23. Retrieved 03 February 2013.
- Bouley, Jeffrey (July 2011). "From enterprise ELN to 'paper on glass'". http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/index.php?newsarticle=5112. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Home - Contur". Contur Software AB. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. http://web.archive.org/web/20110810024836/http://contur.com/home/. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Kaustinen, Kelsey (03 January 2012). "Accelrys nabs VelQuest for $35 million, strengthens paperless offerings". Old River Publications LLC. http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/index.php?newsarticle=5668. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Accelrys Lab Execution System". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 17 January 2013. http://web.archive.org/web/20130117045929/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/lab-execution-system/index.html. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Pilon, Matt (21 August 2012). "Accelrys Moves Local Division To Milford". WBJournal. http://www.wbjournal.com/APPS/PBCS.DLL/ARTICLE?AID=%2F20120821%2FMETROWEST01%2F120829993. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Accelrys Expands Process Management and Compliance Suite with Groundbreaking Laboratory Information Management System". PR Newswire; Accelrys, Inc. 18 March 2013. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/accelrys-expands-process-management-and-compliance-suite-with-groundbreaking-laboratory-information-management-system-198546951.html. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Accelrys Acquires Environmental Health and Safety Leader ChemSW". ChemSW, Inc. 03 September 2013. http://www.chemsw.com/News/Press-Releases/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/41/Accelrys-Acquires-Environmental-Health-and-Safety-Leader-ChemSW.aspx. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Khrennikov, Ilya; Rahn, Cornelius (30 January 2014). "Dassault Systemes Offers $750 Million to Acquire Accelrys". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-30/dassault-systemes-to-bid-750-million-to-acquire-accelrys.html. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- The Engineer (21 May 2014). "Dassault Systèmes Introduces BIOVIA; Combines Accelrys and BioPLM, Powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform". Engineering.com. http://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/7625/Dassault-Systemes-Introduces-BIOVIA-Combines-Accelrys-and-BioPLM-Powered-by-the-3DEXPERIENCE-Platform.aspx. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 29 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130329054003/http://accelrys.com/micro/notebook. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Accelrys Lab Execution System". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 30 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130330211958/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/lab-execution-system/index.html. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Accelrys LIMS". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 01 July 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130701051155/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/accelrys-lims/. Retrieved 09 April 2013.
- "Accelrys Lab Execution System". Contur Software. Archived from the original on 19 May 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130519095331/http://www.contur.com/tour/. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Contur ELN for the Paperless Lab". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 27 May 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20130527085634/http://accelrys.com/products/eln/contur/. Retrieved 18 February 2013.