Agilent Technologies, Inc.
|Headquarters||5301 Stevens Creek Blvd., Santa Clara, California, U.S.|
|Revenue||US $5.16 billion (2019)|
Agilent Technologies, Inc. manufactures a wide variety of laboratory equipment, and it develops and distributes laboratory informatics software, with a strong focus on the life sciences and effective measurement solutions.
Agilent Technologies was formed as an offshoot of Hewlett-Packard. On March 2, 1999, the company announced it would split of its test and measurement division — which had revenues of $7.6 billion in 1998 — into a new company "so that the company will be 'more agile in the marketplace.'" By the end of July the company had selected the name Agilent Technologies, and in August it filed for initial public offering (IPO). The IPO was made on November 18, 1999, and it raised $2.1 billion, making it one of the largest IPOs in Silicon Valley.
On September 19, 2013, Agilent Technologies announced another split in the company structure, with Agilent keeping its life sciences, diagnostics, and applied markets sectors while splitting off the electronic measurement sector into a new company; that company name was announced as Keysight Technologies in January 2014. The separation became official on November 1, 2014.
In June 2007, Agilent Technologies bought Kalabie ELN from the Klee Group. Kalabie was eventually integrated into the OpenLAB suite, and with the release of version 4.1 in August 2010, the name of Kalabie was changed to "OpenLAB ELN."
Agilent introduced OpenLAB CDS, a conglomeration of its EZChrom Elite and Chemstation software, in November 2010. This inevitably led to the discontinuation of its Galaxie chromatography software on December 31, 2011.
In June 2016, Agilent announced it had agreed to purchase iLab Solutions, LLC, completing the acquisition August 1. The iLab software became part of the Agilent portfolio as iLab Operations Software.
In early May 2018, Agilent announced that it had come to an agreement to acquire Switzerland-based Genohm SA and its NGS, cloud-based LIMS. The sale was finalized on May 14, though financial terms were not disclosed. As of May 2018[update], it's not clear if Genohm will operate independently as a subsidiary of Agilent or be absorbed into Agilent, though the company declared its "intention to maintain or even expand the Lausanne-based workforce."
Sometime in early 2019, the Agilent page for OpenLAB ELN was modified to exclusively discuss Genohm acquisition SLIMS, a hybrid electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) plus laboratory information management system LIMS. It's not clear if the former OpenLAB ELN was simply discontinued in favor of SLIMS or if OpenLAB ELN was integrated into SLIMS.
On May 1, 2020, Genohm officially became Agilent Technologies. Existing contracts with Genohm would still be valid, getting migrated to Agilent as a vendor of SLIMS.
Technology and products
iLab Operations Software
iLab Operations Software is laboratory information management system-like (LIMS) software package for core facilities that can act as "a management solution for many types of shared resource facilities." At its base is a core facility management module, with the ability to connect to many add-ons.
OpenLAB CDS, ECM, SLIMS, and other software
OpenLAB CDS is a chromatography data system (CDS) that "combines chromatography and mass spectrometry into one single data system along with limited control of other vendors’ instruments, eliminating the need for expertise with multiple software products." It's based on its former products ChemStation and EZChrom Elite.
OpenLAB ECM (Enterprise Content Manager) is a scientific data management system (SDMS) that "allows the user to create, manage, collaborate, archive, and re‐use all of his or her business critical information with ease."
SLIMS is a combination ELN and LIMS that can "efficiently and comprehensively monitor your assets, quickly identify and address errors, and streamline your processes."
Agilent also develops other software solutions (too many to list here), including for atomic spectroscopy, cell analysis, genomics, mass spectrometry, and molecular spectroscopy. See Agilent's software page for more details.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Source for OpenLAB pricing information is the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA). As prices may change at any time, always contact the vendor directly to obtain a price list or quote.
Note: These are GSA prices, and as such they represent the lowest possible negotiated price. These prices aren't available to any entity outside of the Federal Government, and thus prices for non-government entities will be higher. If anything, they represent the lowest possible negotiated price.
G3657AA Perpetual License, OpenLab ECM Named User: $421.65
M8213AA OpenLab CDS License Configuration: $96.12
M8301AA OpenLab CDS Chemstation Workstation: $8,743.81
M8201AA OpenLab CDS EZChrom Ed. Workstation: $6,600.38
Note: iLab Operations Software and SLIMS pricing information not public.
Demonstration videos and other media
The following demonstration videos are available for OpebLAB CDS and ECM, as well as SLIMS:
- 60 videos (in various languages) related to OpenLAB CDS can be found on the vendor's website.
- OpenLAB CDS - Intelligent Reporting – Complex Reporting Made Easy
- OpenLab CDS - Key Benefits to Upgrading to OpenLAB CDS
- OpenLAB CDS - Testimonial
- Introducing Agilent SLIMS: The best of a LIMS, the best of an ELN
- Overview of Agilent SLIMS for Information Management
- Agilent SLIMS : Increase Lab Efficiency And Finding Support
- "Agilent - Investor Overview". Agilent Technologies, Inc.. https://www.investor.agilent.com/overview/default.aspx. Retrieved 04 November 2020.
- Kanellos, Michael (03 March 1999). "CEO to step down after major shakeup". CNET News.com. CNET Networks, Inc. Archived from the original on 06 December 2001. https://web.archive.org/web/20011206132828/http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-339379.html. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- Shankland, Stephen (28 July 1999). "HP names spinoff Agilent". CNET News.com. CNET Networks, Inc. http://news.cnet.com/HP-names-spinoff-Agilent/2100-1001_3-229128.html. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "HP Prepares IPO for Spinoff Agilent". Los Angeles Times. 17 August 1999. http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/17/business/fi-896. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Company History Timeline — 1999". Company History Timeline. Agilent Technologies. http://www.agilent.com/about/companyinfo/history/timeline_1999.html. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Agilent Technologies to Separate into Two Industry-Leading Public Companies". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 19 September 2013. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2013/19sep-gp13016.html. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Agilent Technologies Reveals Name of Electronic Measurement Spin-Off Company". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 07 January 2014. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2014/07jan-gp14001.html. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Keysight Technologies Begins Trading as Independent Company". Keysight Technologies. 03 November 2014. http://investor.keysight.com/investors-relations/investor-news-and-events/financial-press-releases/press-release-details/2014/Keysight-Technologies-Begins-Trading-as-Independent-Company/default.aspx. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Agilent Technologies Expands Informatics Portfolio with Electronic Notebook for Life Sciences, Chemical Analysis After Acquiring Kalabie from Klee Group". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 18 June 2007. http://www.investor.agilent.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103274&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1016390. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "ChemAxon and Agilent Technologies Sign Agreement Extending JChem Integration With Kalabie Electronic Lab Notebook". Sys-Con Media. 21 September 2007. http://www.sys-con.com/node/432779. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Agilent Technologies' New Version of Agilent OpenLAB Electronic Lab Notebook Accelerates Analytical Chemistry Workflows". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 10 August 2010. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2010/10aug-ca10049.html. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Agilent Technologies' New Electronic Lab Notebook Expedites Decisions, Helps Users Manage Workflows and Collaborate". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 23 June 2009. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2009/23jun-ca09047.html. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Agilent - Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". Agilent Technologies, Inc. Archived from the original on 23 September 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100923224409/http://www.chem.agilent.com/en-US/Products/software/kalabieeln/Pages/default.aspx. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Galaxie Chromatography Software". Agilent Technologies, Inc. Archived from the original on 21 January 2016. https://archive.is/TQp1v. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Agilent Technologies to Acquire Assets of iLab Solutions, Leader in Cloud-Based Laboratory Management Software". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 27 June 2016. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2016/27jun-gp16013.html. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "Agilent Technologies Completes Asset Acquisition of iLab Solutions, a Leader in Cloud-Based Laboratory Management Software". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 01 August 2016. http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroom/presrel/2016/01aug-gp16015.html. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "Lab Management Software". Agilent Technologies, Inc. https://www.agilent.com/en/service/laboratory-services/lab-operations-management. Retrieved 23 October 2020.
- Barraud, E. (02 May 2018). "US group Agilent enters EPFL Innovation Park by acquiring Genohm". EPFL News. École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne. https://actu.epfl.ch/news/us-group-agilent-enters-epfl-innovation-park-by-ac/. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Genohm SA closes its sale to Agilent Technologies Ltd". Kellerhals Carrard. 14 May 2018. https://www.kellerhals-carrard.ch/fr/genohm-sa-closes-its-sale-to-agilent-technologies-ltd-_content---1--8--460.html. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Agilent Completes Acquisition of Genohm". StockWatch. Canjex Publishing Ltd. 14 May 2018. https://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item.aspx?bid=U-b005668-U:A-20180514&symbol=A®ion=U. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "OpenLAB Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". Agilent Technologies, Inc. Archived from the original on 18 October 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20171018011717/http://www.agilent.com/en-us/products/software-informatics/openlab-software-suite/electronic-lab-notebook/openlab-eln. Retrieved 04 October 2019.
- "Genohm is Now Agilent". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 01 May 2020. https://www.agilent.com/en/products/acquisition/genohm-is-now-agilent-faq. Retrieved 25 October 2020.
- "OpenLAB CDS". Agilent Technologies, Inc. https://www.agilent.com/en-us/products/software-informatics/openlab-software-suite/chromatography-data-systems-/openlab-cds. Retrieved 08 July 2016.
- "OpenLAB ECM". Agilent Technologies, Inc. https://www.agilent.com/en-us/products/software-informatics/openlab-software-suite/content-management/openlab-ecm. Retrieved 08 July 2016.
- "SLIMS". Agilent Technologies, Inc. https://www.agilent.com/en/product/software-informatics/lab-workflow-management-software/slims. Retrieved 25 October 2020.
- "Agilent SLIMS". Agilent Technologies, Inc. 23 March 2020. https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/brochures/brochure-slims-5994-1578en-agilent.pdf. Retrieved 25 October 2020.