|Headquarters||555 Montgomery St., Suite 1700, San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Number of locations||3|
Benchling, Inc. develops and distributes laboratory informatics software solutions for the life science industry.
Benchling announced in June 2018 that it had wrapped up $14.5 million in Series B investor funding, adding to its $12.9M Series A funding from 2012. With the Series B money, the company planned to hire more people, increase product development, and attract more academic users. In the fall of 2019, the company announced it had obtained an additional $34.5 million in Series C investor funding in order to extend its global reach and expand commercial relationships to get products to market more quickly.
In January 2020, the company launched its Benchling for Lab Automation, a centralized cloud-based solution for automating experiments and other processes through interfacing hardware and software over the cloud.
On April 14, 2021, the company completed its Series E funding, raising $200 million, led by Sequoia Capital Global Equities, which brought total funding to $350 million. After the funding, it was reported that Benchling had hit a valuation of $4 billion, with anticipation of eventually going IPO.
Technology and products
Benchling Notebook, Benchling for Lab Automation, and more
Benchling Notebook is an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) that "is more than a digital version of paper." The company best describes the platform as "a lab notebook and a molecular biology suite with a cutting-edge version of traditional LIMS functions." The software is available as a SaaS offering. The Enterprise addition adds features such as custom roles and permissions and workflow management.
Benchling for Lab Automation is a cloud-based laboratory informatics platform that integrates software and hardware to improve automation and data handling of "liquid handlers, plate readers, imaging instruments, chromatography systems, and more."
The company also offers other applications such as sequence design tools, molecular modeling software, inventory management software, request and scheduling management tools, workflow management tools, and analytics dashboards. See the company's product page for more details.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
The following pricing information is available for Benchling:
Academic: Free, with access to the molecular biology and notebook apps and rudimentary features.
Professional: Pricing is not publicly available.
Enterprise: Pricing is not publicly available.
Demonstration videos and other media
Benchling has 30+ demonstration videos on the Benchling YouTube channel.
- Benchling tutorials
- Benchling blog
- Benchling Notebook brochure
- Benchling for Lab Automation whitepaper
- "Business Search". California Secretary of State. http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/. Retrieved 04 April 2016. "Search entity number C3729450"
- Cutler, K.-M. (20 February 2014). "SV Angel-Backed Benchling Is Modernizing Software For Biotech Labs". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/20/sv-angel-backed-benchling-is-modernizing-software-for-biotech-labs/. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- Tansey, B. (14 June 2018). "Benchling Scores $14.5M to Grow Online Lab Notebook for Bio-Researchers". Xconomy. https://xconomy.com/san-francisco/2018/06/14/benchling-scores-14-5m-to-grow-online-lab-notebook-for-bio-researchers/. Retrieved 20 February 20.
- Arnason, G. (3 September 2019). "Benchling closes on USD 34.5m in funding". Financial News. Zephyrus Digital. https://financial-news.co.uk/benchling-closes-on-usd-345m-in-funding-20190730115500/. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "The Jackson Laboratory, Benchling, Genomenon, And More: News From January 2020". BioIT World. Cambridge Innovation Institute. 30 January 2020. https://www.bio-itworld.com/2020/01/30/the-jackson-laboratory-benchling-genomenon-and-more-news-from-january-2020.aspx. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Series E - Benchling". Crunchbase, Inc. 14 April 2021. https://www.crunchbase.com/funding_round/benchling-series-e--c7f0065f. Retrieved 04 October 2021.
- Feldman, A. (14 April 2021). "Biotech R&D Startup Benchling Hits $4 Billion Valuation As The Company Starts Laying Groundwork For An IPO". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2021/04/14/biotech-rd-startup-benchling-hits-4-billion-valuation-as-the-company-starts-laying-the-groundwork-for-an-ipo/?sh=541e34213ac9. Retrieved 04 October 2021.
- "Benchling". Benchling, Inc. https://www.benchling.com/notebook/. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Pellegrini, R. (23 October 2018). "What is a LIMS?". Benchtalk. Benchling, Inc. https://www.benchling.com/2018/10/23/what-is-a-lims/. Retrieved 15 December 2019.
- "Benchling Pricing". Benchling, Inc. https://www.benchling.com/pricing/. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Benchling for Lab Automation". Benchling, Inc. https://www.benchling.com/lab-automation/. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Benchling Notebook: More Than a Digital Version of Paper" (PDF). Benchling, Inc. https://www.benchling.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Notebook-Overview.pdf. Retrieved 10 October 2019.