HORIZON Lab Systems, LLC
|Headquarters||8601 Six Forks Road, Suite 160, Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.|
|Number of locations||1|
|Parent||Roper Technologies, Inc.|
HORIZON Lab Systems, LLC develops and distributes laboratory informatics software solutions.
HORIZON Lab Systems was originally founded as ChemWare, Inc. in 1987, making its first commercial release of HORIZON LIMS in 1991. In early 2004, the company won the Technology Quality Leadership Award from market research and analysis firm Frost & Sullivan. ChemWare was acquired by New Resources Companies in early 2012, though ChemWare was allowed to continue to operate as an independent company.
ChemWare was acquired again in January 2014 by the Dohmen Company, which also acquired Red Arrow Labs and Clinical Path Consulting. ChemWare operated as a subsidiary of Dohmen (as ChemWare, LLC), though at some unknown point, ChemWare's HORIZON software was transferred to Dohmen's acquired Red Arrow Labs, LLC, which appeared to be developing it in the late 2010s.
In roughly 2019 (time frame isn't fully clear), Red Arrow Labs was dissolved, ChemWare resumed development of HORIZON LIMS, and ChemWare changed its name to HORIZON Lab Systems, LLC, though it still operated as an affiliate of Dohmen (source: personal communications, Robert Benz).
On January 5, 2022, CliniSys Group Limited announced that it was acquiring HORIZON and its laboratory information management system (LIMS), adding that "[t]he acquisition extends CliniSys’ laboratory testing, diagnostics, and management capabilities further into the public health sector and related markets, such as environmental, water quality testing, public health, toxicology, and agricultural testing." Nearly two weeks later, CliniSys announced it and HORIZON would combine with Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., which CliniSys parent Roper Technologies acquired in 2016. It was further reported that HORIZON LIMS may combine with Sunquest's LIS, Sunquest Laboratory. The same report suggested that "[t]he expanded firm will be known by the CliniSys name, although it’s possible that Sunquest will keep its branded product line."
On October 4, 2022, CliniSys Group Limited announced the completion of "the combination of Sunquest Information Systems, HORIZON Lab Systems, and Apollo LIMS under its singular brand." While the announcement indicated that the branding was affected, as of October 4 it is still not clear what happened to Sunquest, HORIZON, and Common Cents as legal entities (i.e., are they subsidiaries or separate entities doing business as Clinisys).
Technology and products
HORIZON LIMS is a LIMS described as "an efficient, configurable, secure and cost-effective solution to transform your lab." The software can be installed locally or hosted via the SaaS distribution model. The software is designed to adress the needs of multiple industries, including agriculture, cannabis, clinical diagnostics, environmental, public health, toxicology, and utilities fields.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Source for pricing information is GSA Advantage, off the HORIZON Lab Systems contract, which still shows active. As prices may change at any time, always contact the vendor directly to obtain a price list or quote.
Note: These are U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) prices, and as such they represent the lowest possible negotiated price. These prices aren't available to any entity outside of the Federal Government, and thus prices for non-government entities will be higher. If anything, they represent the lowest possible negotiated price.
HORIZON LIMS Oracle 12c database, processor-based license: $14,850.00
- provides the primary database and system infrastructure
HORIZON LIMS Central named user, Tier 1: $3,563.00
- provides core LIMS features
HORIZON LIMS Report Manager processor-based license: $26,760.00
- provides administrator access for report development and distribution and ad-hoc queries
HORIZON LabOnline named user: $8,250.00
- provides access to client portal for data access, report viewing, and order entry
HORIZON Field named user: $1,658.00
- provides access to portable field data collection devices
HORIZON Instrument instrument integration utility, named user: $1,650.00
- allows users to develop and deploy LimsLink parsers for automated uploading and posting of results to HORIZON from interfaced instruments
HORIZON Logbooks processor-based license: $18,550.00
- allows users electronic data capture that would normally be entered into physical logbooks
HORIZON OCR SimpleIndex barcode software: $1,020.00
- allows end-users to convert external scanned documents into electronic data
Labor Category I – Senior Project Manager : $202/hr
- consultation on automation and data management systems needs, formalization of requirements analysis and implementation plan
Labor Category Ii – Project Manager : $150/hr
- provides direction and system implementation assistance, including configuring test methods, setting up clients/profiles, QC batch rules, analyte lists and developing reports
System Administrator Training : $3,137.00
- training on general HORIZON operation and procedures for LIMS maintenance, configuration and optimization
Advanced System Administrator Training : $2,713.00
- training on advanced HORIZON operation and procedures for LIMS maintenance, configuration and optimization
Report Writer Training : $5,713.00
- Advanced report writer training on the HORIZON Report Manager option, for system administrators and power users who want to create their own reports or customize those provided by HORIZON
Demonstration videos and other media
The HORIZON Lab Systems YouTube channel has the following demo videos:
- "ChemWare > Corporate > About ChemWare". ChemWare, Inc. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130424134323/http://www.chemware.com/Corporate/AboutChemWare.aspx. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- "ChemWare, Inc. Receives the 2004 Frost & Sullivan Award for Technology Quality Leadership". Frost & Sullivan. 2 March 2004. Archived from the original on 07 March 2004. https://www.limsforum.com/chemware-inc-receives-the-2004-frost-amp-sullivan-award-for-technology-quality-leadership/48207/. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- "New Resources Companies Acquire ChemWare". New Resources Consulting, LLC. 2 January 2012. Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130514074608/http://www.nrconsults.com/news/view/?newsId=561. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- Kirchen, R. (3 January 2014). "Dohmen acquires two Milwaukee firms". Milwaukee Business Journal. American City Business Journals, Inc. https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/01/03/dohmen-acquires-two-milwaukee-firms.html. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- "About: Who We Are". Red Arrow Labs, LLC. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170824175706/http://horizonlims.com/about/. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- "CliniSys acquires HORIZON Lab Systems, LLC a leading laboratory information management system (LIMS) provider". CliniSys Group Limited. 5 January 2022. https://www.clinisysgroup.com/uk/en/news/clinisys-acquires-horizon-lab-systems/.
- "News & PressCliniSys Acquires HORIZON Lab Systems And Combines With Sunquest Information Systems CliniSys acquires HORIZON Lab Systems and combines with Sunquest Information Systems to create one of the world’s largest organizations dedicated to diagnostics and laboratory informatics". Sunquest Information Systems, Inc. 18 January 2022. https://www.sunquestinfo.com/news-and-press/clinisys-acquires-horizon-lab-systems-and-combines-with-sunquest-information-systems/. Retrieved 26 March 2022.
- "Roper Technologies Acquires CliniSys". CliniSys. 26 January 2016. http://www.clinisysgroup.com/international/news-and-events/news/2016/roper-acquires-clinisys/. Retrieved 26 March 2022.
- Michel, R. (31 January 2022). "LIS Market Will Change After Oracle, CliniSys Deals". Dark Report. https://www.darkintelligencegroup.com/the-dark-report/laboratory-information-systems/lis-market-will-change-after-oracle-clinisys-deals/. Retrieved 26 March 2022.
- "Clinisys completes combination of Sunquest, HORIZON and ApolloLIMS businesses". CliniSys Group Limited. 4 October 2022. https://www.clinisys.com/uk/en/news/clinisys-completes-combination-of-sunquest-horizon-and-apollolims-businesses/. Retrieved 04 October 2022.
- "Offerings: Transform Your Lab". Red Arrow Labs, LLC. https://horizonlims.com/offerings/. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "Delivery: Your System Your Way". Red Arrow Labs, LLC. https://horizonlims.com/delivery/. Retrieved 29 October 2020.