Dassault Systèmes SA
|Industry||3-D software, laboratory informatics|
|Headquarters||10 rue Marcel Dassault, CS 40501, Vélizy-Villacoublay Cedex, France|
|Number of locations||109|
Dassault Systèmes was formed in 1981, spun out from Dassault Aviation and its 3D design software CATIA. The company used a step-by-step approach to get a start in other industries beyond aeronautical design, including automotive design, consumer goods, machinery, and shipbuilding. IBM itself became a customer in the mid 1980s and deployed CATIA in its engineering and manufacturing plants.
By the early 2000s, Dassault's CAD/CAM software was replaced by product lifecycle management (PLM) software. New brand names were added to address the full PLM spectrum: DELMIA to support manufacturing, ENOVIA to support internal and external collaboration, SIMULIA to support analysis and simulation, SolidWorks for 3D modeling, and 3DVIA for 3D visualization. A few years later, recognizing the advantages of the Internet, Dassault introduced a Web version of its PLM with its Version 6 platform.
On January 30, 2014, news broke that Dassault Systèmes had agreed to purchase Accelrys, Inc. for almost $750 million, valued at $12.50 per share in cash, pending approval by Accelrys shareholders. On April 29, Dassault announced it had completed the acquisition "through a merger." The former Accelrys products would then be incorporated into a new Dassault product branding called BIOVIA. Dassault's CEO said of BIOVIA, "The integration of Accelrys’ powerful applications with our 3DEXPERIENCE platform will create a new collaborative environment for advanced biological, chemical and materials experience development." In May 2014 Research firm Gartner, Inc. called BIOVIA "the most significant life-sciences-focused investment that a major product life cycle management (PLM) software vendor has ever made."
Technology and products
BIOVIA product line
BIOVIA LES (formerly Accelrys LES), a laboratory execution system that "delivers transformational productivity for QA/QC labs supporting common workflows such as material testing for recipes, stability testing, product release testing and post-release quality testing"
BIOVIA Notebook (formerly Contur ELN/iLabber), a "flexible, multi-discipline, low-cost-of-ownership [ELN] that improve[s] information sharing and reuse, data protection, process documentation and overall productivity." The software also comes in a cloud-based SaaS version.
BIOVIA Workbook (formerly Accelrys ELN and Symyx Notebook), an electronic laboratory notebook designed "to document and manage the flow of information, tasks and materials within and between labs"
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Demonstration videos and other media
The following videos exist for the BIOVIA product line:
- BIOVIA page at Dassault Systèmes
- BIOVIA LES brochure
- BIOVIA LIMS brochure
- BIOVIA Notebook brochure
- BIOVIA Workbook brochure
- Bernard, Francis; Menezes, Deelip (ed.) (27 November 2010). "The Dassault Systemes Success Story". Deelip.com. http://www.deelip.com/?p=4890. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- Khrennikov, Ilya; Rahn, Cornelius (30 January 2014). "Dassault Systemes Offers $750 Million to Acquire Accelrys". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-30/dassault-systemes-to-bid-750-million-to-acquire-accelrys.html. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Dassault Systèmes Successfully Completes Acquisition of Accelrys". Dassault Systèmes SA. 29 April 2014. http://www.3ds.com/press-releases/single/dassault-systemes-successfully-completes-acquisition-of-accelrys/. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- The Engineer (21 May 2014). "Dassault Systèmes Introduces BIOVIA; Combines Accelrys and BioPLM, Powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform". Engineering.com. http://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/7625/Dassault-Systemes-Introduces-BIOVIA-Combines-Accelrys-and-BioPLM-Powered-by-the-3DEXPERIENCE-Platform.aspx. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- Shanler, Michael; Halpern, Marc (27 May 2014). "Dassault Systemes' Biovia Is Poised to Capture PLM Life Science Market - G00264777". Gartner, Inc. https://www.gartner.com/doc/2750417/dassault-systemes-biovia-poised-capture. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Accelrys Lab Execution System". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 30 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130330211958/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/lab-execution-system/index.html. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "BIOVIA LES". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-les/index.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "Accelrys LIMS". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 01 July 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130701051155/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/accelrys-lims/. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "BIOVIA LIMS". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-lims/index.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "Contur ELN for the Paperless Lab". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 06 august 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130806070759/http://accelrys.com/products/eln/contur/. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "iLabber ELN". Contur Software. Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140414234200/http://www.contur.com/tour/. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "BIOVIA Notebook". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/notebook/index.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Notebook Cloud". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/notebook-cloud/index.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 29 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130329054003/http://accelrys.com/micro/notebook. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook". Accelrys, Inc.. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131023114952/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/electronic-lab-notebook.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "Electronic Laboratory Notebook". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/workbook/index.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Lab Execution System: Streamline Cycle Times and Reduce Costs" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. August 2016. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/pdf/biovia-lab-execution-system.pdf. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA LIMS: An Entirely New Process- and Execution-centric Approach to LIMS Implementations" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. March 2017. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/pdf/pmc/biovia-lims-ds.pdf. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Notebook" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. July 2015. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/datasheets/biovia-notebook-ds.pdf. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Workbook for Process Chemistry". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/workbook/workbook-for-process-chemistry.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Workbook for Formulations". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/workbook/workbook-for-formulations.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Workbook for Analytical Labs". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/workbook/workbook-for-analytical-labs.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Workbook for Biologics". Dassault Systèmes SA. http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-electronic-lab-notebooks/workbook/workbook-for-biologics.html. Retrieved 06 January 2019.