Flywheel Exchange, LLC
|Type||Limited liability company|
|Headquarters||1015 Glenwood Ave., Suite 300, Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Number of locations||1|
|Key people||Troy Kopischke, Brian Wandell, Jim Olson|
Flywheel Exchange, LLC develops and distributes laboratory and scientific informatics software solutions. Their core platform, Flywheel, is built on top of the open-source application programming interface (API) SciTran, developed prior by several Flywheel founders based out of Stanford University.
Flywheel Exchange, LLC was founded in May 2012.
On September 29, 2015, Flywheel Exchange announced it would be entering into a partnership with Stanford Center for Cognitive and Neurobiological Imaging director Dr. Brian Wandell to commercialize his radiology and imaging-related scientific data management tools, called SciTran. A week later, that software was revealed to be available as a private beta under the name "Flywheel." The software was reported to "offer scientists using functional MRI the tools to effectively capture, store, organize, and share their data." The software exited the private beta phase on December 15 and became available for the general public.
In September 2021, Flywheel secured $22 million in series C funding and with it acquired Radiologics, a provider of imaging informatics services and products. The reported goal of the merger was to together further develop solutions allowing researchers "to ramp up the speed of clinical trials, improve biomedical research, and get to the discovery stage quicker."
Technology and products
Flywheel is a cloud-based imaging-centric data management platform "for researchers seeking to transform productivity and collaboration in imaging research, clinical trials, multi-center studies and machine learning." The platform provides four components: Enterprise, the base data management solution; Discovery, for discovering and cataloging data; Exchange, a tool for interacting with data partners; and Trial Flow, for managing clinical trial information in a compliant fashion. Flywheel is targeted to those working in the life sciences, clinical research, medical imaging research, and artificial intelligence industries.
The platform has some of the features reminiscent of a scientific data management system (the SciTran API at Flywheel's core was even formerly described as an SDMS). The various features of the data management platform include:
- support for many data types, including custom data types
- automated data capture from preferred imaging stations
- configurable de-identification tools to meet regulatory requirements
- image curation tools
- data privacy and role-based access controls
- support for electronic signatures
The company does not make pricing public.
Demonstration videos and other media
The company has more than 30 videos related to its offerings posted on YouTube.
- Whitepaper: Reimagining the Future of Biomedical Research
- Brochure: Top 5 Reasons Your Life Sciences Organization Needs Modern Medical Imaging Infrastructure
- "Scientific Transparency". Stanford University. https://scitran.github.io/. Retrieved 30 July 2022.
- "Business Record Details > Flywheel Exchange, LLC". Minnesota Business and Lien System. Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/Business/SearchDetails?filingGuid=aecb82df-94a9-e111-afc0-001ec94ffe7f. Retrieved 03 November 2015.
- "Flywheel Partners with Dr. Brian Wandell". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association, LLC. 29 September 2015. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/flywheel-partners-with-dr-brian-wandell-300150255.html. Retrieved 30 July 2022.
- "Flywheel Launches Private Beta Phase of its Data Management Platform". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association, LLC. 7 October 2015. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/flywheel-launches-private-beta-phase-of-its-data-management-platform-300155073.html. Retrieved 30 July 2022.
- "Flywheel Successfully Ends Private Beta Phase; Opens Platform Availability To Public". Flywheel Exchange, LLC. 15 December 2015. Archived from the original on 04 August 2016}. https://web.archive.org/web/20160804183501/https://flywheel.io/news-and-events/flywheel-successfully-ends-private-beta-phase-opens-platform-availability-to-public. Retrieved 30 July 2022.
- LaHucik, K. (15 September 2021). "Flywheel raises $22M, buys Radiologics to advance biomedical research". Fierce Biotech. https://www.fiercebiotech.com/cro/flywheel-raises-22m-buys-radiologics-to-advance-biomedical-research. Retrieved 04 August 2022.
- Flywheel Exchange, LLC (15 September 2021). "Flywheel and Radiologics Join Forces to Create a Truly Unique Global Network for Biomedical Research and Collaboration". Business Wire. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210915005250/en/Flywheel-and-Radiologics-Join-Forces-to-Create-a-Truly-Unique-Global-Network-for-Biomedical-Research-and-Collaboration. Retrieved 04 August 2022.
- "Flywheel: The Researcher's Platform for Data Curation, Analysis, and Collaboration". Flywheel Exchange, LLC. https://flywheel.io/product/. Retrieved 30 July 2022.
- "One Medical Research Data Platform, Multiple Solutions". Flywheel Exchange, LLC. https://flywheel.io/solutions/. Retrieved 04 August 2022.
- "Scientific Transparency". Stanford University. Archived from the original on 13 February 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160213115752/https://scitran.github.io/. Retrieved 30 July 2022.