|Headquarters||5200 Illumina Way, San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Number of locations||10|
|Subsidiaries||GenoLogics Life Sciences Software Inc.|
Illumina, Inc. develops and distributes laboratory informatics software applicable to the analysis of genetic variation and function.
Illumina was founded in April 1998 and completed its IPO in July 2000, raising a little over $100 million. One of its first partnerships was with Applied Biosystems, Inc. in November 1999 "to combine Applied Biosystem's proven assay technology with Illumina's BeadArray platform to create a high-throughput SNP genotyping system."
In November 2008, Illumina began a collaboration with GenoLogics Life Sciences Software Inc. to use their Geneus software for Illumina's hardware sequencing platform, then called Genome Analyzer. The following year Illumina began advertising its Illumina LIMS on its website "for Infinium Whole-Genome Genotyping, Infinium iSelect, GoldenGate Genotyping, and GoldenGate Indexing products."
GenoLogics reaffirmed its collaboration with Illumina in May 2011, stating that it's new GenoLogics LIMS would be incorporated in Illumina's next series of hardware sequencing platforms.
In September 2014, Illumina again renewed its collaboration with GenoLogics, this time agreeing to use GenoLogics' Clarity LIMS in Illumina's new HiSeq X Ten hardware sequencing platforms. GenoLogics also announced "Illumina will be using GenoLogics’ LIMS to support its collaboration with Genomics England to sequence 100,000 genomes."
In an August 2015 press release, Illumina announced it had agreed to acquire GenoLogics, which would become part of the Illumina Enterprise Informatics business. As of October 2015[update] it's not clear if product lines will be consolidated, renamed, etc.
Technology and products
Illumina LIMS is a laboratory information management system "that guides time-consuming and error-prone sample/data handling and tracking from end to end, ensuring reliable, high-quality data outputs, and enabling multiple projects to be managed in parallel."
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Demonstration videos and other media
- "About Illumina". Illumina, Inc. http://www.illumina.com/company/about-us/fact-sheet.html. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "History". Illumina, Inc. Archived from the original on 05 February 2002. https://web.archive.org/web/20020205070507/http://illumina.com/about_history.htm. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "Illumina Selects GenoLogics as Next Generation Sequencing Lab & Data Management Partner". GenoLogics Life Sciences Software Inc. 12 November 2008. Archived from the original on 06 January 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090106200939/http://www.genologics.com/about-us/press-release/illumina-partner. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "Products / Illumina LIMS". Archived from the original on 20 November 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20091120050218/http://www.illumina.com/products/illumina_lims.ilmn. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "GenoLogics Launches LIMS Pre-Configured for Illumina Next-Gen Sequencing Systems and Sample Prep Kits". May 2011. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110711085620/http://www.genologics.com/news/genologics-launches-lims-pre-configured-illumina-next-gen-sequencing-systems-and-sample-prep. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "GenoLogics Enters Agreement with Illumina to Provide Laboratory Information System for HiSeq X Ten System". GenoLogics Life Sciences Software Inc. 04 September 2014. https://www.genologics.com/company/news/genologics-enters-agreement-illumina-provide-laboratory-information-system-hiseq-x-ten. Retrieved 03 April 2015.
- "Illumina Signs Agreement to Acquire GenoLogics, Leader in Genomics Laboratory Information Management System Market". Illumina, Inc. 05 August 2015. https://www.illumina.com/company/news-center/press-releases/press-release-details.html?newsid=2075626. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "High-throughput microarray processing and sample tracking". Illumina, Inc. http://www.illumina.com/techniques/microarrays/array-data-analysis-experimental-design/lims.html. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Illumina Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)" (PDF). Illumina, Inc. 2010. http://www.illumina.com/content/dam/illumina-marketing/documents/products/datasheets/datasheet_lims.pdf. Retrieved 13 October 2015.