617 Eastlake Ave. East, Suite #400|
Seattle, Washington 98109, U.S.
LabKey Corporation (operating as LabKey Software) partners with biomedical research organizations to develop custom software solutions that help scientists integrate, analyze, and securely share complex research information.
LabKey Software solutions are built on the LabKey Server open-source platform, which has been developed for over 10 years. The company originated at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) and has offices in Seattle, Washington and San Diego, California. Like the majority of businesses developing and distributing open-source software, LabKey Software derives its income from support, customization, and other services.
The open source project that became LabKey Server began in a proteomics lab at the FHCRC in late 2003. In January 2005, the project's founders collaborated with the FHCRC to incorporate LabKey Software in order to make support and extension services for the platform more easily accessible to groups beyond the FHCRC.
In 2011, LabKey Sofware began holding the annual LabKey User Conference to help members of the LabKey Server user community "share their experiences, learn from each other, and apply new knowledge to their scientific data management challenges."
By 2013, more than 70 installations of LabKey Server supported research organizations all over the world. Many of these groups collaborate with LabKey Software to enhance their data management tools and processes, including the FHCRC, the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN), the Collaboration for AIDS Vaccine Discovery (CAVD), NWBioTrust, the Human Immunology Project Consortium (HIPC), the International Center of Excellence in Malaria Research (ICEMR) at the University of Washington, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Network for Pancreatic Organ Donors (nPOD), and the Immune Tolerance Network (ITN).
In July 2014, the National Academies of Science recognized the ITN's installation of LabKey Server — ITN TrialShare — for exceptional innovation in research data management. The installation also won the Board on Research and Data and Information contest for the most outstanding model of "Using Data for the Public Good."
LabKey Server is an open-source laboratory information management system (LIMS) "designed to help organizations integrate, analyze, and share complex biomedical data." It can be downloaded and installed on your own or be hosted as a SaaS offering by LabKey Software.
For more information on LabKey Server, please see the LabKey Server LIMSwiki page.
Services and pricing
LabKey Software offers a range of professional services, including planning, support, hosting, customization, and extension of the open source platform.
- Regular teleconferences and pro-active support
- Design planning and project management
- Training for users and administrators
- Assistance with installation, configuration and upgrades
As of 2016[update], Service Plan prices start at $37K/year. Plans are tailored to the needs of each group. LabKey also offers a service plan for Panorama, the LabKey Server-based repository for targeted proteomics. In 2014, prices started at $60K/year, though current price information is not available.
The Community Edition remains free, while the Professional edition runs $37K/year and Professional+ at $70K/year.
- "LabKey Software". LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "LabKey Server". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.org/project/home/Documentation/begin.view?. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "History". LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com/about/history/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Products & Services". LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com/products-services/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- Berg, Barbara (17 March 2005). "'Wizards' of computational science". Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. http://www.fhcrc.org/content/public/en/news/center-news/2005/03/wizards-computational-science.html. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "LabKey User Conference". MeasurementMedia Network Division, Temperatures.com, Inc. 02 October 2011. http://media.measurementmedianetwork.com/2011/10/02/labkey-user-conference/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "LabKey Server Users". LabKey Corporation. Archived from the original on 14 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160414214932/https://www.labkey.org/wiki/home/Documentation/page.view?name=labkeyServerUsers. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- Igra, Mark; Nelson, Elizabeth K.; Piehler, Britt; Eckels, Josh; Bellew, Matthew; Hussey, Peter; Rauch, Adam (2013). "LabKey Server: An Open Source Platform for Large-Scale, Translational Research" (PDF). BioITWorld Conference. LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com/resource/labkey-server-an-open-source-platform-for-large-scale-translational-research/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- Nelson, Elizabeth K.; Piehler, Britt; Eckels, Josh; Rauch, Adam; Bellew, Matthew; Hussey, Peter; Ramsay, Sarah; Nathe, Cory; Lum, Karl; Krouse, Kevin; Stearns, David; Connolly, Brian; Skillman, Tom; Igra, Mark (2011). "LabKey Server: An open source platform for scientific data integration, analysis and collaboration". BMC Bioinformatics 12 (71). doi:10.1186/1471-2105-12-71. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/12/71. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Immune Tolerance Network’s (ITN) TrialShare Wins National Academies Board on Research Data and Information Challenge". Immune Tolerance Network. 16 July 2014. http://www.immunetolerance.org/news/2014/07/immune-tolerance-network%E2%80%99s-itn-trialshare-wins-national-academies-board-research-data-a. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "LabKey Server". LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com/products-services/labkey-server/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "LabKey Operations Consulting". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/products-services/operations-consulting/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "LabKey Server Editions Overview" (PDF). LabKey Corporation. April 2016. https://www.labkey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/server-editions-datasheet.pdf. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "LabKey Professional Services". LabKey Corporation. 2014. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141030144838/http://www.labkey.com/services. Retrieved 20 January 2016.