|Headquarters||500 Union St., Ste. 1000, Seattle, Washington, U.S.|
|Number of locations||1|
LabKey Corporation (operating as LabKey) partners with biomedical research organizations to develop commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) and custom software solutions that help scientists integrate, analyze, and securely share complex research information.
LabKey Software solutions are built on the LabKey Server open-source platform, which has been developed for over 15 years. The company originated at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) and has offices in Seattle, Washington..
The open source project that became LabKey Server began in a proteomics lab at the FHCRC in late 2003. In January 2005, the project's founders collaborated with the FHCRC to incorporate LabKey Software in order to make support and extension services for the platform more easily accessible to groups beyond the FHCRC.
In 2011, LabKey Sofware began holding the annual LabKey User Conference to help members of the LabKey Server user community "share their experiences, learn from each other, and apply new knowledge to their scientific data management challenges."
By 2013, more than 70 installations of LabKey Server supported research organizations all over the world. Many of these groups collaborate with LabKey Software to enhance their data management tools and processes, including the FHCRC, the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN), the Collaboration for AIDS Vaccine Discovery (CAVD), NWBioTrust, the Human Immunology Project Consortium (HIPC), the International Center of Excellence in Malaria Research (ICEMR) at the University of Washington, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Network for Pancreatic Organ Donors (nPOD), and the Immune Tolerance Network (ITN).
In July 2014, the National Academies of Science recognized the ITN's installation of LabKey Server—ITN TrialShare—for exceptional innovation in research data management. The installation also won the Board on Research and Data and Information contest for the most outstanding model of "Using Data for the Public Good."
In August 2022, the company announced the release of its LabKey ELN (electronic laboratory notebook), to be fully integrated with the company's LabKey Biologics LIMS and LabKey Sample Manager solutions.
Technology and products
LabKey Biologics LIMS, ELN, Sample Manager, and Server
LabKey Biologics LIMS is a cloud-based laboratory information management system (LIMS) that "enables biotechs and biopharma research teams to capture, manage and track their samples, data, biological entities, and workflows in a single user-friendly application" while helping them "eliminate data silos, improve collaboration, and accelerate their R&D." The Enterprise edition can be installed on-premises.
LabKey ELN is an ELN "designed to help scientists efficiently document their experiments and share their ongoing research." It is integrated with LabKey Biologics LIMS and the Professional Edition of Sample Manager.
LabKey Sample Manager is a cloud-based sample management solution "providing complete sample tracking, freezer management, lab workflow management, and compliance features to fit labs of all sizes." It is integrated with Premium Editions of LabKey Server, and it includes ELN functionality in the Professional and Enterprise Editions of LabKey Server.
LabKey Server is a cloud-based scientific data management system (SDMS) "designed to help research organizations manage and analyze their scientific data," supporting all other LabKey solutions. The software comes in a commercial version and a free open-source community version. LabKey Server has features such as support for numerous integrations, data visualization, reporting, role-based security, fine-grained data visibility control, and APIs.
For more information on the free open-source version of LabKey Server, please see the LabKey Server LIMSwiki page.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
As of 2023[update], per the company website, pricing for LabKey Corporation solutions is as follows:
- LabKey Server (commercial) prices start at $295/user/month for the Starter edition, $425/user/for the Professional edition. The Community Edition of LabKey Server remains free, and the Enterprise version pricing is not made public.
- Biologics LIMS prices begin at $270/user/month for the Starter Edition; pricing for the Enterprise edition is not made public.
- Sample Manager pricing starts at $95/user/month for the Starter edition and $190/user/month for the Professional Edition.
Pricing for the ELN is not given, presumably because it's either integrated with other offerings or can't be used as a stand-alone application.
Demonstration videos and other media
Demonstration videos related to LabKey can be found on their YouTube channel.
- "LabKey". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/. Retrieved 28 October 2020.
- "CPAS 1.1 Ships". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.org/home/announcements-thread.view?rowId=34. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "History". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/about/history/. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Berg, Barbara (17 March 2005). "'Wizards' of computational science". Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2005/03/wizards-computational-science.html. Retrieved 28 October 2020.
- "LabKey User Conference". MeasurementMedia Network Division, Temperatures.com, Inc. 2 October 2011. Archived from the original on 06 October 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20161006012124/http://media.measurementmedianetwork.com/2011/10/02/labkey-user-conference/. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "LabKey Server Users". LabKey Corporation. Archived from the original on 14 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160414214932/https://www.labkey.org/wiki/home/Documentation/page.view?name=labkeyServerUsers. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- Igra, Mark; Nelson, Elizabeth K.; Piehler, Britt; Eckels, Josh; Bellew, Matthew; Hussey, Peter; Rauch, Adam (2013). "LabKey Server: An Open Source Platform for Large-Scale, Translational Research" (PDF). BioITWorld Conference. LabKey Corporation. http://www.labkey.com/resource/labkey-server-an-open-source-platform-for-large-scale-translational-research/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- Nelson, Elizabeth K.; Piehler, Britt; Eckels, Josh; Rauch, Adam; Bellew, Matthew; Hussey, Peter; Ramsay, Sarah; Nathe, Cory; Lum, Karl; Krouse, Kevin; Stearns, David; Connolly, Brian; Skillman, Tom; Igra, Mark (2011). "LabKey Server: An open source platform for scientific data integration, analysis and collaboration". BMC Bioinformatics 12 (71). doi:10.1186/1471-2105-12-71. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/12/71. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Immune Tolerance Network’s (ITN) TrialShare Wins National Academies Board on Research Data and Information Challenge". Immune Tolerance Network. 16 July 2014. http://www.immunetolerance.org/news/2014/07/immune-tolerance-network%E2%80%99s-itn-trialshare-wins-national-academies-board-research-data-a. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- LabKey Corporation (3 August 2022). "LabKey launches a “data-connected” electronic lab notebook to help unify scientific research, data and teams". PRWeb. https://www.prweb.com/releases/2022/8/prweb18819910.htm. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "Biologics LIMS". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/products-services/biologics-lims/. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "Electronic Lab Notebook". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/products-services/electronic-lab-notebook/. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "LabKey ELN". LabKey Support Documentation. https://www.labkey.org/Documentation/wiki-page.view?name=elnProduct. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "Sample Manager". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/products-services/sample-management-software/. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "LabKey Sample Manager". LabKey Support Documentation. https://www.labkey.org/Documentation/wiki-page.view?name=sampleManagement. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "LabKey Server". LabKey Corporation. https://www.labkey.com/products-services/labkey-server/. Retrieved 26 October 2022.