LabLynx KB:Backup and recovery manual
| This is an article specific to the Category:LabLynx knowledge base. Its context outside of LabLynx, Inc may not be apparent, thus why it appears inside the LabLynx KB namespace.
Listed below are all the components of the LabLynx Application that need to be considered for regular backup
- Database - Daily backups of the database are highly recommended. Retain several days worth of daily backups on an alternate server.
- Web files - Daily backups of the web folder (usually called LIMS) are recommended but weekly may suffice depending on how often files are uploaded through the application. Retain several days worth of daily backups on an alternate server. Zip them up to keep storage sizes down.
- iServer Components - We recommend storing the last iServer install exe used on your production web server. Alternatively, you can store the contents of the iServer folder on the web server that was created when the iServer install ran. These files do not change often but if a new one is included in a service pack that file should be included with your backups. You can always download the latest version of the iServer install from the FTP server ftp.lablynx.net but we recommend keeping your existing version for recovery purposes.
- If you are implementing the Job Manager functionality you will need to retain the contents of the Job Manager folder under the iServer folder on the web server. This folder contains all the applications used in the automated emails, faxing, print etc. etc. Although the iServer install contains the COTS Job Manager system there may be custom files in the folder as well. A current backup of the contents of this Job Manager folder will be needed in the event of a disaster.
- Database Jobs and Schedules - If you have implemented any reoccurring Oracle or SQL jobs they need to be backup and stored with the backups of the system. In both the Oracle and SQL Server systems there are jobs that execute on a timed basis. If you are utilizing the scheduling features of the Lablynx application you need to backup these jobs and have them incase of the need for recovery.
- Instructions - Keep a copy of any install instructions provided to you during your implementation process. There may be custom instructions you will need to reimplement the system.
- iServerManager.exe - Keep a copy of the last version of this application used when installing or upgrading the application. This too can be downloaded from the FTP server ftp.lablynx.net.
In the event you need to recover and reinstall your LabLynx application create an install from the backups you have on hand.
Follow the instructions in the migration install article to create a new install from your backups.
Once you have created the install from your backups you can proceed with the normal install instructions found in the system install article.
Once this has been completed implement any custom instructions you may have.
If you are utilizing the scheduling features in the LabLynx application you will need to implement the backups of the database jobs. This will recreate the scheduled jobs that are executed by the database.
If you are utilizing the Job Manager functionality you will need to replace the contents of the Job Manager folder under the iServer folder on the web server with the contents from the backup of this directory. This will ensure that you have any custom executables that may have been provided. The JOB Manager install article can walk you through the Job Manager setup process.
You should now be back up and running.