LabLynx KB:Create system install to move from one environment to another
| This is an article specific to the Category:LabLynx knowledge base. Its context outside of LabLynx, Inc may not be apparent, thus why it appears inside the LabLynx KB namespace.
Moving the LabLynx application from one environment to another
Here are instructions for creating an install of the LabLynx application. These instructions can typically be used to move the LabLynx application from one environment to another. Ex: From QC to Production.
There are four key components to the application install package:
- The database
- The Web files
- The iServer install
- The iServer Manager executable
Steps to create the install package:
Create one folder for holding the install. Name this folder something like "LIMS install".
1. In the install folder create a sub folder called "database". Place a backup of the database you are copying in this directory.
- For SQL Server
- Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager and navigate to the database that is currently being used by the application that is being copied.
- Right Click on that database and select all tasks.
- Then select backup database.
- You will need to choose a save loction and name for the file. Once that is done you can hit OK and backup the database. When the backup has completed you will need to navigate to the location where the backup file was created. Copy that file and place it into the "database" folder created above.
- Include in the "database" folder the Update Report Paths.sql file that is usually included in initial install packages from LabLynx. You will need to modify this file if the directory structure of the new web directory is different than the old directory structure. If you are not using the LabLynx reporting tools you will not need to worry about this step. If you have only a few reports in your application you can change the report paths manually through the application by just resaving the reports, eliminating the need for this script.
- For Oracle
- Create an export of the schema you are currently using for you application. You will need to make sure you export all oracle jobs being executed by the schema as well.
- Place the export file into the "database" folder created above.
- Also include the LIMS_RESTORE_DB.bat file that is included with your inital install. You will need to modify this file to meet the new path and file name requirements.
2. In the install folder create a sub folder called "web". Place the contents of the applications virtual directory in this web folder. Usually the application is in a folder called LIMS under inetpub/wwwroot on the web server. Copy this LIMS folder and place it in the new "web" folder mentioned above.
3. Finally, in the main "LIMS install" folder place copies of the iServer_setup.exe and iServerManager.exe files that came in latest install from LabLynx. You will install these on the new server. If you are not moving the application to a new server you will not need to copy and or reinstall these files.
Once you have completed all the steps mentioned above you are ready to install the application in your new environment. Please see the knowledge base article LabLynx KB:System install for more information.