|Type||Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung|
|Predecessor||labfolder GmbH and cubuslab GmbH|
|Headquarters||Elsenstraße 106, Berlin, Germany|
|Number of locations||2|
Labforward GmbH develops and distributes laboratory informatics software solutions.
Labforward GmbH has its origins in two companies: labfolder GmbH and cubuslab GmbH. On July 1, 2012, start-up company labfolder GmbH made its first blog post, announcing its intentions. Led by biologists Simon Bungers and Florian Hauer as well as programmer Mathias Schäffner, the start-up aimed to address "the limits of paper-based laboratory notebooks such as loose data collections, scattered notes and limited search facilities at the lab bench" and "create a digital lab notebook that can be used as laboratory management software and collaboration platform for laboratory research." The trio released an alpha version of its labfolder software for testing on October 3, followed by a beta version on February 20, 2013. The product moved out of beta testing in May 2014 and was offered as a free basic package.
In May 2019, labfolder and cubuslab GmbH, a laboratory automation integration business, announced they would be merging to form Labforward GmbH. The merger was reportedly born out of a 2017 half-joking conference discussion that led to a realization: "we worked together on so many projects that the tremendous advantages of the cooperation for both parties became obvious, and the initial joke became a serious opportunity."
In April 2013, labfolder received an award for being one of the top 10 best concepts at start2grow Competition 2013.
Technology and products
cubuslab and labfolder
cubuslab is a "plug & play solution to connect all your lab instruments in a single platform."
labfolder is a cloud-based electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) that helps researchers record their findings. The product is available in a free basic edition for up to three users and an extended team version for larger research groups. The software can be installed on-site or hosted in the cloud.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Basic: labfolder is free to individual researchers and research groups up to three in number, with up to 3GB of storage
Advanced: starting from €15 per user per month for academia, €45 per user per month for industry, with up to 300GB of storage
Service billed annually.
Demonstration videos and other media
The following demonstration videos are available for Electronic Notebook for labfolder:
- labfolder - labfolder Trailer
- labfolder - New Feature: Mendeley App
- labfolder - labfolder in 100 Seconds
- labfolder - Lay out your entries
- labfolder - Image Annotation
- labfolder - Templates and Protocol Reuse
- labfolder - Sketch Tool
- labfolder - Title 21 CFR Part 11 Digital Signatures
- labfolder - Organize Your Research
- labfolder - Comments
- labfolder - Groups
- labfolder - Importing of word processing and spreadsheet data
- labfolder - Create entries
- labfolder - Messages
- labfolder - Document integrity
- labfolder - Full audit trail
- labfolder - PDF export
- labfolder - Getting started
- labfolder - Search
- labfolder - GLP
- labfolder - Clone entries
- Havemann, Johanna (01 July 2012). "Another startup called labfolder". labfolder Blog. labfolder GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/blog/labfolder-startup/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- Bungers, Simon (03 October 2012). "alpha-release of the electronic lab notebook". labfolder Blog. labfolder GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/blog/alpha-release-of-lab-notebook/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- Bungers, Simon (20 February 2013). "labfolder proudly presents: The beta version of our digital labbook!". labfolder Blog. labfolder GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/blog/beta-release-of-digital-labbook-labfolder/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- Hauer, Florian (08 May 2014). "Beta testing and new features". labfolder Blog. labfolder GmbH. https://blog.labfolder.com/beta-testing/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "DGAP-News: labfolder acquires cubuslab and becomes Labforward". MarketWatch. 22 May 2019. https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/dgap-news-labfolder-acquires-cubuslab-and-becomes-labforward-2019-05-22. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "Joining Forces: Accelerator Startup Alumni labfolder and cubuslab Are Merging!". Merck Innovation Center. Merck KGaA. 21 May 2019. https://www.emdgroup.com/en/research/innovation-center/news-and-events/all-news/joining-forces-accelerator-startup-alumni-labfolder-and-cubuslab.html. Retrieved 03 September 2019.
- "Labforward". Labforward GmbH. https://www.labforward.io/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "Labfolder". Labforward GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "Features breakdown". Labforward GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/features/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "Academia pricing". Labforward GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/pricing/academia/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.
- "Industry pricing". Labforward GmbH. https://www.labfolder.com/pricing/industry/. Retrieved 03 October 2019.