|Type||Kommanditgesellschaft auf Aktien|
|Headquarters||Frankfurter Straße 250, Darmstadt, Germany|
|Number of locations||Multiple|
Merck KGaA—operating as Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in Europe and MilliporeSigma in North America—is a pharmaceutical, chemical, and life sciences business operating in close to 70 countries.
The company was reportedly founded in 1668 and remains "the oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company in the world." In recent times, the company is notable for its acquisition of Millipore Corp. in 2010 and Sigma-Aldrich in 2015, which combined with Millipore would become MilliporeSigma in North America.
Technology and products
BrightLab is a cloud-based laboratory informatics solution that is designed to enable researchers to "control all aspects of the experiment lifecycle from a single, easy-to-configure platform."  BrightLab combines electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) functionality with integrated modules for inventory and request management, Sigma-Aldrich ordering, and instrument scheduling.
In addition, BrightLab allows users the option to connect their instrument data to their ELN in order to "automate the capturing, tagging, storing, parsing, and analyzing of data."  The software is hosted in the cloud as a software as a service (SaaS) distribution model.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
BrightLab offers the following modules for free to academic labs:
- Inventory Management
- Request Management
- Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)
- Sigma-Aldrich Commerce
- Instrument Scheduling and Asset Management
For non-academic labs, please contact the vendor for a quote.
Demonstration videos and other media
- BrightLab demo video (MilliporeSigma/U.S. and Canada)
- BrightLab demo video (Merck/rest of world)
- MilliporeSigma also has a YouTube channel.
- "History". Merck KGaA. https://www.emdgroup.com/en/company/who-we-are/history.html. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "Germany's Merck to buy Millipore in $7.2 billion transaction". MarketWatch. 01 March 2010. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/merck-buys-millipore-in-72-billion-deal-2010-02-28. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- Reisch, M.S. (19 November 2015). "The Making Of MilliporeSigma". Chemical & Engineering News. https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/web/2015/11/merck-kgaa-completes-sigma-aldrich-acquisition.html. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "BrightLab". Merck KGaA. https://www.brightlab.com/. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "BrightLab Instrument Connectivity Brings Research Automation to the Next Level". Merck KGaA. https://www.brightlab.com/instrument-connect/. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "BrightLab Notebook Is Your Collaborative Research Hub". Merck KGaA. https://www.brightlab.com/electronic-lab-notebook/. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "BrightLab Inventory Management Accelerates Material Lifecycle Tracking". Merck KGaA. https://www.brightlab.com/inventory-management/. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "Brightlab Academia". Merck KGaA. https://www.brightlab.com/academia/. Retrieved 23 September 2019.