|Headquarters||940 Winter Street, Waltham, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Number of locations||370+|
PerkinElmer Inc. manufacture environmental- and health-based products, including the development and distribution of laboratory informatics software solutions.
In March 2011 PerkinElmer announced the purchase of CambridgeSoft Corporation, which now essentially acts as a subsidiary. CambridgeSoft products like ChemBioOffice, ChemDraw, and ChemOffice, E-Notebook, and iLAB maintained their identities, while Workflow LIMS was seemingly phased out by the end of 2011, likely in favor of LABWORKS LIMS.
PerkinElmer completed the purchase of ArtusLabs, Inc. in the spring of 2011, acquiring with it the Ensemble ELN. (Ensemble used to be a separate ELN; however, it seems the Ensemble name was later taken for Perkin Elmer's new suite, with E-notebook taking the place of the Ensemble ELN.)
The company acquired Integromics SL in July 2014 after a year before signing an exclusive distribution contract with the company. The Integromics website went dark in early 2017 and the company and its OmicsOffice LIMS is presumed to be fully integrated into PerkinElmer.
In April 2017, the company announced the launch of its cloud-based Signals Notebook ELN software.
Sometime in 2020, the company launched its SimplicityChrom CDS.
Former PerkinElmer developer Paul Fjeldsted, who left Perkin in 2015 to make his own consulting company LabVikings, gathered a development team and approached PerkinElmer about acquiring its LABWORKS laboratory information management system (LIMS). He later explained "[t]he Labworks employees were tired of seeing a lack of focus and investment in the Labworks product so they partnered with experienced industry executives along with private investors and made the case to PKI that the Labworks product and customers deserved better." The offer was formally accepted on March 3, 2016, though a public press release wasn't issued until May 11, stating that newly created company Labworks, LLC would take control of the software.
Chromera was a chromatography data system (CDS) and speciation software "that integrates and manages the PerkinElmer NexION and ELAN ICP-MS instruments and the Flexar and Series 200 HPLC systems." The software featured setup, integration, and reporting wizards; "real-time multichannel data processing"; instrument management; customizable visualizations; workflow management; and graphic visualization and development of methods. Sometime in the spring or summer of 2019, the Chromera software page was removed, and a new page for "Clarity Chromatography Software for Speciation Analyses" appeared. It's in no way clear if Clarity is a rebranding of the former Chromera software or if PerkinElmer is now a distributor of DataApex's Clarity CDS.
In January 2020, PerkinElmer announced that it would be sunsetting its iLAB laboratory execution system (LES) and LimsLink middleware, end-of-lifing the the products come January 3, 2021. The company suggested iVention BV's LES solution as a possible replacement. iLAB was an LES that "provides QA/QC laboratories with a structured platform that eliminates paper while automating and controlling testing procedures." The system automated routine testing procedures, integrated with other software systems, and utilized electronic worksheets "for investigations, audits or to demonstrate adherence to regulatory compliance requirements."
In August 2020, PerkinElmer announced that it would be sunsetting its OmicsOffice laboratory information management system (LIMS), end-of-lifing the product come August 11, 2021. OmicsOffice was a LIMS "for every step in your genomics data analysis, enabling you to load and process raw data – external and vendor specific – and perform the steps common to expression analysis."
Technology and products
Clarity, E-Notebook, and Signals Notebook
Clarity is a CDS that "allows streamlined workflows, from method development through to reporting." It's unclear if this is PerkinElmer's own CDS or if they are distributing DataApex's Clarity CDS.
SimplicityChrom is a CDS that "that enables you to efficiently control the instrument, process data, and generate results."
E-Notebook is an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) "for data capturing, archiving, sharing, and protecting intellectual property," and that can "drive enhanced collaboration, innovation, and productivity across your organization."
Signals Notebook is a cloud-based ELN "that covers a comprehensive set of scientific use cases, spanning biology, chemistry, formulations, analysis, and more."
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Demonstration videos and other media
- "PerkinElmer agrees to buy CambridgeSoft". Boston.com. 24 March 2011. http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/03/perkinelmer_agr_1.html. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Announcing CambridgeSoft from Perkin Elmer". PerkinElmer Inc. http://www.cambridgesoft.com/pki/. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Enterprise Solutions - Workflow LIMS". PerkinElmer Inc. Archived from the original on 18 November 2011. http://web.archive.org/web/20111118083039/http://www.cambridgesoft.com/solutions/details/?fid=189. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "PerkinElmer Signs Agreement to Acquire CambridgeSoft Corporation and Completes Purchase of ArtusLabs, Inc.". PerkinElmer Inc. 24 March 2011. http://www.perkinelmer.com/AboutUs/PressRoom/PressReleaseDetails/ArticleId/69844. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Ensemble for life science : Overview". ArtusLabs, Inc. Archived from the original on 07 August 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130807054450/http://artuslabs.com/ensemble.html. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "PerkinElmer Acquires Labtronics Inc.". PerkinElmer Inc. May 2011. http://www.labtronics.com/news/May11_PerkinElmer_Acquires_Labtronics.htm. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "About Us". Integromics SL. Archived from the original on 01 February 2016. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160201051159/https://www.integromics.com/company/about-us/. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- Carazo, J.-M.. "Jose-Maria Carazo personal page". Centro Nacional de Biotecnología. Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161021071049/http://biocomp.cnb.csic.es:80/carazo. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- "PerkinElmer Inks Software Distribution Agreement with Integromics". GenomeWeb. 25 June 2013. https://www.genomeweb.com/informatics/perkinelmer-inks-software-distribution-agreement-integromics. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "New Cloud-Based PerkinElmer Signals Notebook Helps Scientists Accelerate Drug Discovery Research". PerkinElmer Inc. 3 April 2017. http://ir.perkinelmer.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=1019780. Retrieved 05 October 2017.
- "SimplicityChrom CDS". PerkinElmer. Archived from the original on 30 December 2020. https://web.archive.org/web/20201230190045/https://www.perkinelmer.com/category/simplicitychrom-cds. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Labworks 2.0 – Expect Excellence". Labworks, LLC. Archived from the original on 02 June 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160602181306/http://labworks.com/company/. Retrieved 02 June 2016.
- "LABWORKS LIMS Acquired from PerkinElmer by Labworks LLC – Future Never Looked Brighter". BusinessWire. Business Wire, Inc. 11 May 2016. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160511005343/en/LABWORKS-LIMS-Acquired-PerkinElmer-Labworks-LLC-%E2%80%93. Retrieved 02 June 2016.
- "Chromera Speciation Software". PerkinElmer Inc. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20190328091543/http://www.perkinelmer.com/product/kit-chromera-software-n8120191. Retrieved 04 October 2019.
- "Powerful Tools Make It an Easy Road" (PDF). PerkinElmer Inc. 2010. Archived from the original on 08 July 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110708174808/http://www.perkinelmer.com/CMSResources/Images/44-73202BRO_ChromeraCDS.pdf. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "Clarity Chromatography Software for Speciation Analyses". PerkinElmer Inc. https://www.perkinelmer.com/product/clarity-software-kit-n8150513. Retrieved 04 October 2019.
- "Sunset Notice – PerkinElmer iLab and LimsLink". PerkinElmer Inc. 3 January 2020. https://informatics.perkinelmer.com/Support/SupportNews/details/?SupportNews=252. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "iLAB Laboratory Execution System". PerkinElmer Inc. Archived from the original on 28 July 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170728053839/https://www.cambridgesoft.com/Ensemble_for_QA-QC/iLabLaboratoryExecutionSystem/. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "Sunset Notice – OmicsOffice". PerkinElmer Inc. 11 August 2020. https://informatics.perkinelmer.com/Support/SupportNews/details/?SupportNews=279. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "OmicsOffice". PerkinElmer Inc. Archived from the original on 06 May 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20190506175844/http://www.perkinelmer.com/product/omicsoffice-omicsoffice. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "SimplicityChrom CDS". PerkinElmer. https://www.perkinelmer.com/category/simplicitychrom-cds. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "E-Notebook". PerkinElmer Inc. https://perkinelmerinformatics.com/products/research/eln-e-notebook. Retrieved 12 October 2022.
- "Signals Notebook". PerkinElmer Inc. https://perkinelmerinformatics.com/products/research/signals-notebook-eln/. Retrieved 14 October 2021.
- "E-Notebook" (PDF). Perhin Elmer. 2019. https://perkinelmerinformatics.com/sites/default/files/2022-05/INF_E-Notebook_SHT.pdf. Retrieved 12 October 2022.