|Type||Limited liability company|
1430 Massachusetts Ave., Second Floor|
Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Number of locations||1|
|Key people||Barry Wark, Winston Braser|
|Products||Ovation Research, Ovation Service Lab, Ovation Enterprise|
Physion was formally founded as Physion Consulting, LLC in March 2009, though the company changed its name to Physion, LLC in October 2013. In mid- to late 2011, the company introduced its Ovation scientific data management system (SDMS) to the public, describing it as a tool that "handles the entire lifecycle of scientific data from acquisition to publication and beyond." Development of the software happened in-house and on the company's GitHub account. In 2012, CEO and co-founder Barry Wark shared the SDMS' data model with the INCF Neuroimaging and Neurophysiology Data Sharing Task Forces, comparing and contrasting it with the XCEDE 2 XML-based model developed by the Biomedical Informatics Research Network (BIRN). After initially using relational databases to prototype the software, Physion later turned to IBM's Cloudant Dedicated Cluster in late 2014 for a more "scalable data layer that synchronizes data between the cloud and multiple local clients." The company had also developed a Python API to allow "full functionality of the Ovation ecosystem from within Python."
In January 2016, Physion implemented a series of new changes with the company's web presence and software offerings. The company shut down its physion.us domain, changed their doing business as name to Ovation, and seemingly phased out its Ovation SDMS for a new laboratory information management system (LIMS) called LIMS+. The last known version of Ovation SDMS before that was 3.1.3.
At some point in late 2016 or early 2017, the company backtracked on LIMS+ and decided to split the product up into two components: an SDMS-like "Research" component and a LIMS-like "Service Lab" component of the Ovation software platform.
In early 2018, the company changed their approach yet again, ditching the "Research" and "Service Lab" concept, calling the software "Ovation Diagnostic," which "helps clinical labs rapidly streamline operations by easing the burden of many of the day-to-day logistics." By the summer of 2018, the "Ovation Diagnostic" concept was dropped, and, presumably though not entirely clear, the LIMS product was simply called "Ovation."
Technology and products
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Demonstration videos and other media
- "OVATION - Trademark Details". Justia Trademarks. Justia, Inc. 15 April 2015. https://trademarks.justia.com/857/71/ovation-85771270.html. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Business Entity Summary - ID Number: 001032890". Corporations Division - Search the Corporate Database. Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/CorpSearch/CorpSummary.aspx?FEIN=001032890&SEARCH_TYPE=1. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Ovation scientific data management system". Physion Consulting, LLC. Archived from the original on 08 November 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20111108150857/http://physionconsulting.com/web/Ovation.html. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Ovation Scientific Data Management System - Trademark Details". Justia Trademarks. Justia, Inc. 15 April 2015. https://trademarks.justia.com/853/46/ovation-scientific-data-management-system-85346962.html. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Physion". GitHub. GitHub, Inc. https://github.com/physion. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Ovation". INCF Portal. International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility. 11 October 2012. http://datasharing.incf.org/ep/Ovation. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Wark, Barry (September 2012). "Ovation Scientific Data Management System". International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility. http://datasharing.incf.org/ds_ep/images/2/22/Ovation_INCF_datasharing_taskforce_2012.pdf. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Gadde, S.; Aucoin, N.; Grethe, J.S. et al.. "XCEDE: An Extensible Schema For Biomedical Data". Neuroinformatics 10 (1): 19-32. doi:10.1007/s12021-011-9119-9. PMC PMC3836560. PMID 21479735. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=PMC3836560.
- "Physion" (PDF). IBM Software. November 2014. http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=AB&infotype=PM&appname=SWGE_IM_IM_USEN&htmlfid=IMC14920USEN&attachment=IMC14920USEN.PDF#loaded. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Physion, LLC (13 August 2014). "ovation 2.1.17: Ovation Python API". Python Software Foundation. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ovation. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "404 page not found". physion.us. Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 09 January 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160109162910/http://physion.us/. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Hasler, A. (16 February 2016). "Lab Management Is Broken: Introducing LIMS+". ovation.io. Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 14 March 2016. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160314174343/https://www.ovation.io/clinical-lab-management-blog/lab-management-is-broken. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Haris (11 August 2015). "Problem in Loading ,downloading new points on Operator drops in Ovation 3.1.3". Emerson Exchange 365. Emerson Process Management LLLP. http://www.emersonexchange365.com/operateandmanage/ovation/f/51/t/5196. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "A Brand New LIMS". Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 06 May 2016. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160506005503/https://www.ovation.io/service-labs. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "To Profitably Grow, Service Labs Need Modern Technology Solutions Built for Current and Future Challenges" (PDF). Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 14 March 2016. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160314162311/https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/730505/ovation-whitepaper.pdf?t=1457751886726. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Scientific-Data-Layer-as-a-Service for LIMS and Research". Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 01 June 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170601025002/https://www.ovation.io/#home. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "All of the LIMS, None of the Hassle: Ovation Diagnostic". Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 11 January 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180111234045/https://www.ovation.io/. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Ovation: Laboratory Medicine Is More than Running a Test". Physion, LLC. Archived from the original on 04 July 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180704120327/https://www.ovation.io/. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Product". Physion, LLC. https://www.ovation.io/product/. Retrieved 11 January 2019.