Sapio Sciences, LLC
|Type||Limited Liability Company|
|Headquarters||Inner Harbor Center, 400 E. Pratt St., Ste. 800, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.|
|Number of locations||3|
Sapio Sciences, LLC develops and distributes laboratory informatics software solutions.
Sapio Sciences was originally founded in 2004 to develop software tools to address the growing genotyping need for tools to assist in analyzing genetics data, particularly in relation to Genome Wide Association Studies. Sapio's first product was Exemplar Analytics, which ultimately incorporated over 50 different algorithms and was utilized in numerous published papers. Sapio was subsequently approached by several customers to develop a LIMS solution that would provide a greater level of flexibility and configurability than traditional LIMS solutions on the market. This led to the development of Exemplar LIMS and its introduction in early 2007.
Sapio quietly discontinued its Examplar Biomarker Discovery product sometime after November 2014.
Technology and products
Exemplar is a versatile software suite that encompasses laboratory information management, electronic laboratory notebook, molecular diagnostics, biomarker discovery, and data management in a single framework. Since its original introduction in 2007, Exemplar has evolved into more than a LIMS solution. Sapio introduced its Workflow Engine in 2008, with the goal of being able to address the electronic laboratory notebook market and eliminate paper based recording of lab process information.
Exemplar subsequently added a fully configurable data model which meant that Exemplar could now track virtually any data assuming reasonable constraints on volume. This has led to Exemplar being used as a scientific data management system (SDMS) where it is used to manage large volumes of targeted assay data. Statistics have also be implemented to perform detailed analysis of scientific data within the same environment.
In November 2015, Sapio announced its NGS LIMS was available hosted in the cloud under the software as a service distribution model. Its other solutions soon followed as being able to be hosted locally or in the cloud.
Exemplar is an n-tier product that offers both Java and web-based clients. Multiple databases are supported for data storage including MySQL and Oracle.
The general framework and adaptable nature of Exemplar has made it applicable to a broad spectrum of accounts, ranging from large pharmaceuticals to university R&D departments. Exemplar is also being used in highly regulated environments such as part 11, GLP, and CLIA laboratories. The Exemplar family of products are focused on supporting non-profit research labs, commercial entities engaging in the discovery of biomarkers, and commercial companies applying ready-for-market molecular based diagnostics.
Note: As of June 2020, Sapio laboratory informatics solutions include LIMS for research, diagnostics, next-generation sequencing, stability studies, histopathology, and bioanalysis, as well as an ELN. Due to space constraints, feature tables for some of them do not appear below. More specifically, see the vendor pages for Exemplar Histopathology LIMS, Bioanalytical LIMS, and Stability LIMS for more about those specific solutions.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Sapio only includes pricing for one of the three levels of its ELN. No public pricing for their LIMS exist.
The ELN is offered in three editions: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. The Bronze package is just the SaaS-based ELN, at $199 a month or $1,956 annually. The Silver and Gold editions' pricing is unknown. A comparison of the editions can be found here.
Demonstration videos and other media
Sapio has the following product demonstration videos on their YouTube channel:
- Sapio Sciences' Exemplar LIMS - Overview
- Deploying and NGS LIMS for Complex Research and Clinical Environments (Exemplar NGS LIMS)
- Shiels, A; Bennett, TM; Knopf, HL; Maraini, G; Li, A; Jiao, X; Hejtmancik, JF (2008). "The EPHA2 gene is associated with cataracts linked to chromosome 1p". Molecular vision 14: 2042–55. PMC 2582197. PMID 19005574. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2582197.
- Davila, Sonia; Hibberd, Martin L.; Hari Dass, Ranjeeta; Wong, Hazel E. E.; Sahiratmadja, Edhyana; Bonnard, Carine; Alisjahbana, Bachti; Szeszko, Jeffrey S. et al. (2008). Gojobori, Takashi. ed. "Genetic Association and Expression Studies Indicate a Role of Toll-Like Receptor 8 in Pulmonary Tuberculosis". PLoS Genetics 4 (10): e1000218. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000218. PMC 2568981. PMID 18927625. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2568981.
- Mattapallil, MJ; Sahin, A; Silver, PB; Sun, SH; Chan, CC; Remmers, EF; Hejtmancik, JF; Caspi, RR (2008). "Common genetic determinants of uveitis shared with other autoimmune disorders". Journal of Immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 180 (10): 6751–9. PMC 2493541. PMID 18453595. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2493541.
- Burgner, David; Davila, Sonia; Breunis, Willemijn B.; Ng, Sarah B.; Li, Yi; Bonnard, Carine; Ling, Ling; Wright, Victoria J. et al. (2009). Gibson, Greg. ed. "A Genome-Wide Association Study Identifies Novel and Functionally Related Susceptibility Loci for Kawasaki Disease". PLoS Genetics 5 (1): e1000319. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000319. PMC 2607021. PMID 19132087. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2607021.
- Horvath, Anelia; Boikos, Sosipatros; Giatzakis, Christoforos; Robinson-White, Audrey; Groussin, Lionel; Griffin, Kurt J; Stein, Erica; Levine, Elizabeth et al. (2006). "A genome-wide scan identifies mutations in the gene encoding phosphodiesterase 11A4 (PDE11A) in individuals with adrenocortical hyperplasia". Nature Genetics 38 (7): 794–800. doi:10.1038/ng1809. PMID 16767104.
- "Sapio Sciences Announces Top 5 Pharma Licenses Exemplar LIMS". LIMSfinder.com. 22 April 2007. Archived from the original on 22 April 2007. https://www.limsforum.com/sapio-sciences-announces-top-5-pharma-licenses-exemplar-lims/51178/. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Sapio's Laboratory Information Management (LIMS) Solutions". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 2014. Archived from the original on 04 November 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141104122256/http://www.sapiosciences.com/lims_products.php. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "About Us". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/about-us. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Proffitt, Allison (22 February 2012). "ELN Excellence: The New Lab Notebooks". Bio IT World. Cambridge Healthtech Institute. http://www.bio-itworld.com/2012/02/22/eln-excellence-new-lab-notebooks.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Sapio Sciences Exemplar LIMS 4.0". Scientific Computing. 15 June 2010. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120311231308/http://www.scientificcomputing.com/Products-Sapio-Sciences-Exemplar-LIMS-4.0-061510.aspx. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Sapio Announces Exemplar NGS LIMS 2.0 with Hosted Option". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 10 November 2015. https://www.sapiosciences.com/news/Sapio-Announces-Exemplar-NGS-LIMS-2-0-with-Hosted-Option. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Russell, J. (8 October 2008). "ExonHit Bets on Sapio LIMS". Bio-IT World. http://www.bio-itworld.com/issues/2008/oct/exonhit.html. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Sapio Sciences Exemplar LIMS 4.0 Released". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 17 May 2010. https://www.sapiosciences.com/news/Sapio-Sciences-Exemplar-LIMS-4-0-Released. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Exemplar Clinical LIMS". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 2020. https://www.sapiosciences.com/clinical-lims-software. Retrieved 18 August 2020.
- "Sapio Sciences". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Exemplar ELN". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/electronic-lab-notebook-software-eln. Retrieved 18 August 2020.
- "Sapio Sciences Exemplar ELN Editions". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://exemplareln.com/eln-features. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Exemplar NGS LIMS". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 2015. https://www.sapiosciences.com/exemplar-ngs-lims. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Exemplar Research LIMS". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 2015. https://www.sapiosciences.com/exemplar-research-lims. Retrieved 14 October 2015.