81 Wyman Street|
Waltham, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Number of locations||85+|
|Parent||Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.|
Thermo Scientific develops and distributes scientific hardware and software solutions. In May 2016, parent company Thermo Fisher Scientific converted the company website for Thermo Scientific to "Thermo Fisher Scientific," with domain names redirecting. As of October 2016[update], the status of the "Thermo Scientific" brand is not clear.
On May 14, 2006, Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific announced that they would merge in a tax-free, stock-for-stock exchange, with the merged company being named Thermo Fisher Scientific; the merger was announced completed on November 9. However, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) ruled that this acquisition was anti-competitive with regard to centrifugal vacuum evaporators (CVEs) because "Thermo and Fisher are the only two significant suppliers of high-performance CVEs in the United States." The FTC required Fisher to divest Genevac to settle the charges of anti-competitive behavior. In April 2007, Genevac was sold to Riverlake Partners, LLC, and the divestiture met FTC approval in March 2007.
The Galileo ADME/toxicology LIMS was quietly phased out sometime in 2014.
Thermo Scientific is one of the brand names used by Thermo Fisher Scientific. Other brand names used over the years have included Fisher Scientific, Chromacol, Nalgene, Cellomics, Cole-Parmer, Pierce Protein Research, and Fermentas. However, in May 2016, the company website for Thermo Scientific was converted to "Thermo Fisher Scientific," with domain names redirecting. As of October 2016[update], the status of the "Thermo Scientific" brand is not clear.
Technology and products
Thermo Fisher develops, supports, and markets many software products for the laboratory, science, and health industries:
Darwin is a pharmaceutical-based laboratory information management system (LIMS) designed to help reduce "the time it takes to implement, validate, achieve user acceptance and maintain system upgrades, all while improving productivity and end-user experience." The software is apparently not available in the United States.
Nautilus is a general-purpose LIMS "that increases workflow efficiency, throughput and data reliability while simplifying administration, sample traceability and regulatory compliance."
SampleManager is an industry-neutral LIMS that "increases productivity and improves the responsiveness and agility of labs across a wide range of regulated and non-regulated industries."
Watson is LIMS for bioanalytical labs that "facilitates efficient study design and data transfer while streamlining assay validation, bioanalysis, instrument interfacing, sample tracking, results reporting and regulatory compliance."
CDM and SDMS
Atlas is a scalable chromatography data system (CDS) designed as an "enterprise level application that controls instruments from multiple vendors ... [and] adds additional flexibility and scalability over corporate networks or WANs." Features include: "sample preparation, multiple channel and multiple inlet updates, advanced chromatogram overlay evaluation," "digital instrument communication, direct control and data acquisition, peak data processing, and reporting."
Chromeleon is a CDS that "supports your chromatography operation throughout your enterprise − from research to routine quality testing − connecting people, instruments and enterprise data management software ..." The software, originally developed by Dionex Corporation, appears to be marketed as enterprise CDS technology.
ChromQuest is a scalable CDS that "[c]ontrols LC and GC systems and associated instruments." The software "can set up conditional actions in a sequence prior to injections, such as trigger a notification, abort, run a shut-down, or re-calibrate."
Data Manager is a scientific data management system (SDMS) that "lets you securely share, compare, search, query and reuse raw instrument and document data across your organization." Features include: instrument integration, data sharing, raw data and normalized XML data management, 150+ file type convertors, metadata support, and 21 CFR Part 11 compliance.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Demonstration videos and other media
The following demonstration videos are available for Thermo Fisher software products:
- Laboratory Information Management Systems: Darwin
- Laboratory Information Management Systems: Nautilus
- Laboratory Information Management Systems: SampleManager
- Laboratory Information Management Systems: Watson
- Integration Manager: Paperless Laboratory Workflow
- A Water and Environmental Testing Configuration of SampleManager
- SampleManager 11: Most Configurable LIMS, SampleManager 11
- SampleManager 11: SampleManager 11, with Configurable Data Flow-Through
- SampleManager 11: Automated Regulatory Compliance Workflows for Food Production
- Atlas brochure
- ChromQuest brochure
- Data Manager brochure
- Nautilus brochure
- SampleManager brochure
- Watson brochure
- "www.thermoscientific.com". Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Thermo Fisher Scientific. Archived from the original on 01 May 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160501065430/http://www.thermoscientific.com/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Electron Acquires InnaPhase Corporation" Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.. 13 September 2004. Retrieved 09 February 2012.
- "InnaPhase Continues to Deliver" Scientific Computing. Retrieved 09 February 2012.
- "Merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific Completed, Forming Thermo Fisher Scientific". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association, LLC. 09 November 2006. http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/thermofisher/25929/. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Thermo Electron Corporation, In the Matter of". Federal Trade Commission. 30 March 2007. http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/0610187/thermo-electron-corporation-matter. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Riverlake Partners, LLC Acquires UK-based Genevac, Ltd" (PDF). Riverlake Partners, LLC. 03 April 2007. http://www.riverlakepartners.com/documents/Genevac_Final_Press_Release.pdf. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "FTC Approves Proposed Divestiture in Matter of Thermo Electron Corporation". Federal Trade Commission. 30 March 2007. http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2007/03/ftc-approves-proposed-divestiture-matter-thermo-electron. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Galileo LIMS for HTS ADME Laboratories". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 25 November 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131125074750/http://www.thermoscientific.com/en/product/galileo-lims-hts-adme-laboratories.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "LIMS Solution for Pharmaceutical Manufacturing". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-11007-PHARM-M. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Nautilus LIMS for Dynamic Discovery and R&D Environments". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-12000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "SampleManager LIMS". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-11000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Watson LIMS for Bioanalytical Laboratories". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-21000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Atlas Chromatography Data System (CDS)". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-14001. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Chromatography Data Systems (CDS)". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/industrial/chromatography/chromatography-data-systems-cds.html. Retrieved 05 January 2019.
- "ChromQuest Software Platform". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INQSOF012. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Data Manager Software". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-42001-DATA-MGR. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Fisher Darwin LIMS" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 01 October 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20151001190015/http://www.thermoscientific.com/content/dam/tfs/ATG/CMD/CMD%20Marketing%20Material/AutomationCollateral/Darwin-LIMS.pdf. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Fisher Nautilus LIMS Software" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2018. https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/Product-Bulletins/TIB-80002-LIMS-Nautilus-TIB80002-EN.pdf. Retrieved 08 October 2019.
- "Thermo Fisher SampleManager LIMS" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2019. https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/brochures/BR-80060-LIMS-SampleManager-BR80060-EN.pdf. Retrieved 08 October 2019.
- "Thermo Fisher Watson LIMS" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/content/dam/tfs/ATG/CMD/CMD%20Marketing%20Material/AutomationCollateral/Watson-LIMS-for-Bioanalytical-Laboratories.pdf. Retrieved 04 October 2016.