|Headquarters||168 Third Avenue, Waltham, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Number of locations||600+|
|Parent||Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.|
Thermo Scientific develops and distributes scientific hardware and software solutions. In May 2016, parent company Thermo Fisher Scientific converted the company website for Thermo Scientific to "Thermo Fisher Scientific," with domain names redirecting. As of October 2016[update], the status of the "Thermo Scientific" brand is not clear.
On May 14, 2006, Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific announced that they would merge in a tax-free, stock-for-stock exchange, with the merged company being named Thermo Fisher Scientific; the merger was announced completed on November 9. However, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) ruled that this acquisition was anti-competitive with regard to centrifugal vacuum evaporators (CVEs) because "Thermo and Fisher are the only two significant suppliers of high-performance CVEs in the United States." The FTC required Fisher to divest Genevac to settle the charges of anti-competitive behavior. In April 2007, Genevac was sold to Riverlake Partners, LLC, and the divestiture met FTC approval in March 2007.
The Galileo ADME/toxicology LIMS was quietly phased out sometime in 2014.
In January 2016, Thermo Fisher Scientific announced the intent to acquire Affymetrix, Inc. for $14.00 per share in cash, at a purchase price of approximately $1.3 billion. The deal was finalized March 31, 2016. By 2020, the acquired Affymetrix solutions were rebranded to "Applied Biosystems." (Thermo had prior acquired Life Technologies in 2013, which was the byproduct of the 2008 merger of Applied Biosystems and Invitrogen in November 2008.)
In March 2017, Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired Core Informatics, LLC for $94 million, which was reportedly assigned to the Thermo's Analytical Instruments division. Up until the summer of 2021, the Core Informatics web page was still operating independently, listing Core Informatics as "part of Thermo Fisher Scientific." However, it appears Core Informatics has likely been fully absorbed into Thermo as of late 2021.
Thermo Scientific is one of the brand names used by Thermo Fisher Scientific. Other brand names used over the years have included Fisher Scientific, Chromacol, Nalgene, Cellomics, Cole-Parmer, Pierce Protein Research, and Fermentas.
ChromQuest was a scalable CDS that "[c]ontrols LC and GC systems and associated instruments." The software "can set up conditional actions in a sequence prior to injections, such as trigger a notification, abort, run a shut-down, or re-calibrate." The software was discontinued sometime in the fall of 2018.
Technology and products
Thermo Fisher develops, supports, and markets many software products for the laboratory, science, and health industries:
Core LIMS is a laboratory information management system (LIMS) designed "to define, capture, and manage your R&D laboratory data across workflows." The software can be installed locally or hosted in the [[Cloud computing|cloud]. The software seamlessly integrates with Core ELN.
Darwin is a pharmaceutical-based LIMS designed to help reduce "the time it takes to implement, validate, achieve user acceptance and maintain system upgrades, all while improving productivity and end-user experience." The software is apparently not available in the United States.
Nautilus is a general-purpose LIMS "that increases workflow efficiency, throughput and data reliability while simplifying administration, sample traceability and regulatory compliance."
SampleManager is an industry-neutral LIMS that "increases productivity and improves the responsiveness and agility of labs across a wide range of regulated and non-regulated industries."
Watson is LIMS for bioanalytical labs that "facilitates efficient study design and data transfer while streamlining assay validation, bioanalysis, instrument interfacing, sample tracking, results reporting and regulatory compliance."
Core ELN is an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) designed to help you "design and execute experiments and capture data." The software can be installed locally or hosted in the cloud. The software seamlessly integrates with Core LIMS.
CDM and SDMS
Atlas is a scalable chromatography data system (CDS) designed as an "enterprise level application that controls instruments from multiple vendors ... [and] adds additional flexibility and scalability over corporate networks or WANs." Features include: "sample preparation, multiple channel and multiple inlet updates, advanced chromatogram overlay evaluation," "digital instrument communication, direct control and data acquisition, peak data processing, and reporting."
Chromeleon is a CDS that "supports your chromatography operation throughout your enterprise − from research to routine quality testing − connecting people, instruments and enterprise data management software ..." The software, originally developed by Dionex Corporation, appears to be marketed as enterprise CDS technology.
Data Manager is a scientific data management system (SDMS) that "lets you securely share, compare, search, query and reuse raw instrument and document data across your organization." Features include: instrument integration, data sharing, raw data and normalized XML data management, 150+ file type convertors, metadata support, and 21 CFR Part 11 compliance.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
No public pricing available.
Demonstration videos and other media
The following demonstration videos are available for Thermo Fisher software products:
- Optimizing the laboratory to support COVID-19 testing (with SampleManager)
- Resource Manager for SampleManager
- SampleManager LIMS LES Capabilities
- Pharma Solution for Thermo Scientific SampleManager LIMS software
- Atlas brochure
- Core ELN brochure
- Core LIMS brochure
- Data Manager brochure
- Nautilus brochure
- SampleManager brochure
- Watson brochure
- "www.thermoscientific.com". Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Thermo Fisher Scientific. Archived from the original on 01 May 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160501065430/http://www.thermoscientific.com/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Electron Acquires InnaPhase Corporation". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.. 13 September 2004. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=89145&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=612672. Retrieved 09 February 2012.
- Pedon, Joe. "InnaPhase Continues to Deliver". Scientific Computing. http://www.scientificcomputing.com/innaphase-continues-to-deliver.aspx. Retrieved 09 February 2012.
- "Merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific Completed, Forming Thermo Fisher Scientific". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association, LLC. 9 November 2006. http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/thermofisher/25929/. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Thermo Electron Corporation, In the Matter of". Federal Trade Commission. 30 March 2007. http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/0610187/thermo-electron-corporation-matter. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Riverlake Partners, LLC Acquires UK-based Genevac, Ltd" (PDF). Riverlake Partners, LLC. 3 April 2007. http://www.riverlakepartners.com/documents/Genevac_Final_Press_Release.pdf. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "FTC Approves Proposed Divestiture in Matter of Thermo Electron Corporation". Federal Trade Commission. 30 March 2007. http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2007/03/ftc-approves-proposed-divestiture-matter-thermo-electron. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Galileo LIMS for HTS ADME Laboratories". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 25 November 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131125074750/http://www.thermoscientific.com/en/product/galileo-lims-hts-adme-laboratories.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Affymetrix". Business Wire. 8 January 2016. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160108005915/en/Thermo-Fisher-Scientific-to-Acquire-Affymetrix. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- "Thermo Fisher Completes Acquisition of Affymetrix". GenomeWeb. 31 March 2016. https://www.genomeweb.com/business-news/thermo-fisher-completes-acquisition-affymetrix. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- "Affymetrix". Thermo Fisher Scientific. Archived from the original on 12 August 2020. https://web.archive.org/web/20200812214737/https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/life-science/microarray-analysis/affymetrix.html?navMode=35810&aId=productsNav. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- Evans, J. (17 April 2013). "Thermo Fisher to acquire Life Technologies for $13.6 billion". Wiley Analytical Science. https://analyticalscience.wiley.com/do/10.1002/sepspec.13e1967f5b1/full/. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- "Form 8-K, SEC Accession No. 0001193125-08-210995" (PDF). SEC. 15 October 2008. http://pdf.secdatabase.com/431/0001193125-08-210995.pdf. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- Staff Reporter (11 May 2017). "Thermo Fisher Spent $314M on Two Acquisitions in Q1; Settled IP Suits With Roche 454, Illumina". GenomeWeb. https://www.genomeweb.com/business-news/thermo-fisher-spent-314m-two-acquisitions-q1-settled-ip-suits-roche-454-illumina. Retrieved 06 January 2019. "Thermo Fisher acquired Core Informatics in early March for a total of $94 million, net of cash acquired. The informatics firm, which has been offering cloud-based platforms for scientific management, is now part of Thermo's Analytical Instruments segment. Last year, Core Informatics launched a validated version of its Platform-for-Science infrastructure for regulated laboratories in the biopharmaceutical industry and clinical genomics. Thermo said in the filing that Core Informatics had approximately $10 million in revenues in 2016 and that the purchase price exceeded the fair market value of the identifiable net assets, so it allocated $63 million of the price to goodwill."
- "Core Informatics". Thermo Fisher Scientific. Archived from the original on 06 May 2021. https://web.archive.org/web/20210506040116/http://www.coreinformatics.com/. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "ChromQuest Software Platform". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 23 June 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180623023627/https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INQSOF012. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "ChromQuest Software Platform". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 05 September 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180905180412/http://www.thermofisher.com:80/order/catalog/product/INQSOF012. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "Core LIMS Software". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/digital-solutions/lab-informatics/core-lims.html. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "LIMS Solution for Pharmaceutical Manufacturing". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-11007-PHARM-M. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Nautilus LIMS for Dynamic Discovery and R&D Environments". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-12000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "SampleManager LIMS". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-11000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Watson LIMS for Bioanalytical Laboratories". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-21000. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Core ELN Software". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/digital-solutions/lab-informatics/core-eln.html. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "Atlas Chromatography Data System (CDS)". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-14001. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Chromatography Data Systems (CDS)". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/industrial/chromatography/chromatography-data-systems-cds.html. Retrieved 05 January 2019.
- "Data Manager Software". Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/INF-42001-DATA-MGR. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Scientific Core ELN software" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2020. http://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/DSD/brochures/core-eln-software-brochure.pdf. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "Thermo Scientific Core LIMS software" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2020. http://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/DSD/brochures/core-lims-software-brochure.pdf. Retrieved 30 September 2021.
- "Thermo Fisher Darwin LIMS" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Archived from the original on 01 October 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20151001190015/http://www.thermoscientific.com/content/dam/tfs/ATG/CMD/CMD%20Marketing%20Material/AutomationCollateral/Darwin-LIMS.pdf. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Thermo Fisher Nautilus LIMS Software" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2018. https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/Product-Bulletins/TIB-80002-LIMS-Nautilus-TIB80002-EN.pdf. Retrieved 08 October 2019.
- "Thermo Fisher SampleManager LIMS" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2019. https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/brochures/BR-80060-LIMS-SampleManager-BR80060-EN.pdf. Retrieved 08 October 2019.
- "Thermo Scientific Watson LIMS software" (PDF). Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. 2019. https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/brochures/BR-80008-Watson-LIMS-BR80008-EN.pdf. Retrieved 30 September 2021.