LII:Past, Present, and Future of Cannabis Laboratory Testing and Regulation in the United States
Title: Past, Present, and Future of Cannabis Laboratory Testing and Regulation in the United States
Edition: Fourth edition
Author for citation: Shawn E. Douglas
License for content: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Publication date: August 2022
This guide provides an in-depth discussion of the ever-changing status of the regulation of the Cannabis plant in the United States (and other parts of the world), as well as the industries surrounding it, including laboratory testing. It also addresses history, regulations, and standards as well as the chemical properties of cannabis and the laboratory methods used to define them. Additionally, the guide examines the equipment, software, and reporting of testing labs; provides future-looking trends and guidance both nationally and internationally; and offers a full directory of resources associated with cannabis regulation and testing.
The fourth edition of this guide updates historical content and adds new historically relevant facts as they relate to regulations, standards, and more. New in this edition is the discussion of quality within the cannabis testing lab, discussion about enforcement of regulations and standards, several new laboratory testing standards and methods, additional vendors, additional insights into the future of cannabis testing and regulation, and updated resources.
The table of contents for Past, Present, and Future of Cannabis Laboratory Testing and Regulation in the United States is as follows:
1. Overview of the cannabis industry in the United States
- 1.1 Brief history of cannabis in the U.S.
- 1.2 Medical and recreational use
- 1.3 Cultivation and distribution
- 1.4 Testing and research
- 1.5 Other areas of concern
- 1.5.1 Banking
- 1.5.2 Advertising
- 1.5.3 Insurance
- 1.5.4 Data management
2. Regulation, standardization, and quality
- 2.1 Federal regulation of cannabis
- 2.2 State and local regulation
- 2.3 Standardization
- 2.3.1 Enforcement
- 2.4 Quality
3. Laboratory testing of cannabis
- 3.1 Analytical aspects of cannabis
- 3.1.1 Cannabinoids
- 3.1.2 Terpenes
- 3.1.3 Contaminants
- 3.2 Methods and guidelines
- 3.2.1 Sampling
- 3.2.2 Cannabinoid testing
- 3.2.3 Terpene testing
- 3.2.4 Contaminant testing
- 3.3 Laboratory accreditation
- 3.4 Reports
- 3.5 Lab equipment
- 3.6 Software
- 3.6.1 LIMS
- 3.6.2 CDS
- 3.6.3 Seed-to-sale
4. Cannabis testing instruments, software, and equipment
- 4.1 Vendors: 0 through F
- 4.1.1 AB Sciex Pte. Ltd.
- 4.1.2 Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- 4.1.3 Alpha-CAT Lab s.r.o.
- 4.1.4 BÜCHI Labortechnik AG
- 4.1.5 CEM Corporation
- 4.1.6 Conquer Scientific Service, Inc.
- 4.1.7 Emerald Scientific, LLC
- 4.1.8 Fritsch GmbH
- 4.2 Vendors: G through P
- 4.2.1 GemmaCert Ltd.
- 4.2.2 GenTech Scientific, Inc.
- 4.2.3 GMI OpCo, LLC
- 4.2.4 ICON Scientific, Inc.
- 4.2.5 Lab Society, LLC
- 4.2.6 LabX
- 4.2.7 LGC Limited
- 4.2.8 Marshall Scientific, LLC
- 4.2.9 Microbiologics, Inc.
- 4.2.10 Neutec Group, Inc.
- 4.2.11 Orange Photonics, Inc.
- 4.2.12 Peak Scientific Instruments Ltd.
- 4.2.13 PerkinElmer, Inc.
- 4.3 Vendors: Q through Z
- 4.3.1 Quantum Analytics, LLC
- 4.3.2 Restek Corporation
- 4.3.3 Sage Analytics
- 4.3.4 Scientific Equipment Source, Inc.
- 4.3.5 Scientific Repair, Inc.
- 4.3.6 Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc.
- 4.3.7 Sigma-Aldritch, Inc. / MilliporeSigma, Inc.
- 4.3.8 SPEX CertiPrep, Inc.
- 4.3.9 ST2 Service Technologies, Inc.
- 4.3.10 Thermo Fisher Scientific
- 4.3.11 VICAM
- 4.3.12 Waters Corporation
- 4.3.13 Willow Industries, LLC
5. Future of cannabis regulation, testing, and market trends
- 5.1 Regulation, market, and research
- 5.2 Lab testing
- 5.2.1 Consolidation
- 5.3 Production
- 5.3.1 Safety
- 5.4 Big Marijuana
- 5.4.1 Patenting
- 5.5 Non-U.S. policy
6. Final thoughts and resources
- 6.1 Final thoughts
- 6.2 Key reading and reference material
- 6.2.1 Key reading
- 6.2.2 Reference material
- 6.3 Publications and blogs
- 6.4 Education and training
- 6.5 Scientific conferences and trade shows
- 6.6 Associations, organizations, and interest groups
- 6.7 Consultancy and support services
- 6.8 Licensed cultivators
- 6.8.1 Canada
- 6.8.2 United States
- 6.9 Testing labs and pricing info
- 6.9.1 Canada
- 6.9.2 United States
- 6.9.3 Mexico