Sapio Sciences, LLC
|Type||Limited Liability Company|
|Headquarters||Inner Harbor Center, 400 E. Pratt St., Ste. 800, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.|
|Number of locations||3|
|Parent||GHO Capital Partners LLP|
Sapio Sciences, LLC develops and distributes laboratory informatics software solutions.
Sapio Sciences was originally founded in 2004 to develop software tools to address the growing genotyping need for tools to assist in analyzing genetics data, particularly in relation to Genome Wide Association Studies. Sapio's first product was Exemplar Analytics, which ultimately incorporated over 50 different algorithms and was utilized in numerous published papers. Sapio was subsequently approached by several customers to develop a LIMS solution that would provide a greater level of flexibility and configurability than traditional LIMS solutions on the market. This led to the development of Exemplar LIMS and its introduction in early 2007.
Sapio subsequently added a fully configurable data model to the Examplar platform, which meant that Exemplar could now track virtually any data assuming reasonable constraints on volume. This has led to Exemplar being used as a scientific data management system (SDMS), managing large volumes of targeted assay data. Statistics were also be implemented to perform detailed analysis of scientific data within the same environment.
Sapio quietly discontinued its Examplar Biomarker Discovery product sometime after November 2014.
In November 2015, Sapio announced its NGS LIMS was available hosted in the cloud under the software as a service distribution model. Its other solutions soon followed as being able to be hosted locally or in the cloud.
In December 2022, GHO Capital Partners announced that it had acquired Sapio Sciences. "GHO declined to disclose deal terms but told Claire that Sapio is a 'profitable company strongly positioned to address an international, high-growth market demanding a uniquely scalable SaaS model.'" GHO added that it may "'selectively look at strategic add-ons for Sapio' but said the firm is mostly focused on investments in R&D and continuing to expand its customer base."
In the spring of 2023, the company simplified its product line. Prior to that, Sapio laboratory informatics solutions included numerous different LIMS, as well as an ELN. Solutions included:
- Sapio Research LIMS
- Sapio NGS LIMS
- Sapio Clinical LIMS
- Sapio Histopathology LIMS
- Sapio Bioanalytical LIMS
- Sapio Stability LIMS
- Sapio Bioprocessing LIMS
- Sapio Seamless ELN
It now appears rather than separate LIMS, Sapio has no-code templated these use cases and simply market the LIMS, as suited for your workflow, as well as the ELN.
Technology and products
The Sapio Platform is described by the company as being "science-aware," which the company defines as a state of "not only [believing] in the importance of scientific realities, but [understanding] those realities intimately so that awareness can translate into action." In plainer terms, the platform appears to be a collection of several software solutions, including a laboratory information management system, an electronic laboratory notebook, and a "data integration solution" called Jarvis that appears to be similar to a scientific data management system (SDMS). The LIMS can be configured to a variety of different specialized clinical purposes using no-code templates.
Sapio ELN is an ELN that "simplifies life in the lab, inspires end user adoption, fosters a spirit of collaboration, and accelerates scientific productivity in powerful new ways."
Sapio Jarvis is a "data integration solution" that "connects and harmonizes your collective scientific intelligence, including your instrument and application data, so that you can realize the fullness of its value." 
Sapio LIMS is a LIMS that "enables total adaptability and scalability with no headaches and no SQL."
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
Pricing is not made public.
Demonstration videos and other media
Sapio has the following product demonstration videos on their YouTube channel:
- Sapio Informatics Platform: The Seamless Lab
- Sapio's Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) Plasmid Editor Quick Overview
- Sapio's Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) Plasmid Editor PCR Primer Design Feature
- Sapio's Electronic Lab Notebook Vector Modification Overview
- Sapio Electronic Lab Notebook Plasmid Editor Golden Gate Wizard overview video
- Shiels, A; Bennett, TM; Knopf, HL; Maraini, G; Li, A; Jiao, X; Hejtmancik, JF (2008). "The EPHA2 gene is associated with cataracts linked to chromosome 1p". Molecular vision 14: 2042–55. PMC 2582197. PMID 19005574. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2582197.
- Davila, Sonia; Hibberd, Martin L.; Hari Dass, Ranjeeta; Wong, Hazel E. E.; Sahiratmadja, Edhyana; Bonnard, Carine; Alisjahbana, Bachti; Szeszko, Jeffrey S. et al. (2008). Gojobori, Takashi. ed. "Genetic Association and Expression Studies Indicate a Role of Toll-Like Receptor 8 in Pulmonary Tuberculosis". PLoS Genetics 4 (10): e1000218. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000218. PMC 2568981. PMID 18927625. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2568981.
- Mattapallil, MJ; Sahin, A; Silver, PB; Sun, SH; Chan, CC; Remmers, EF; Hejtmancik, JF; Caspi, RR (2008). "Common genetic determinants of uveitis shared with other autoimmune disorders". Journal of Immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 180 (10): 6751–9. PMC 2493541. PMID 18453595. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2493541.
- Burgner, David; Davila, Sonia; Breunis, Willemijn B.; Ng, Sarah B.; Li, Yi; Bonnard, Carine; Ling, Ling; Wright, Victoria J. et al. (2009). Gibson, Greg. ed. "A Genome-Wide Association Study Identifies Novel and Functionally Related Susceptibility Loci for Kawasaki Disease". PLoS Genetics 5 (1): e1000319. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000319. PMC 2607021. PMID 19132087. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2607021.
- Horvath, Anelia; Boikos, Sosipatros; Giatzakis, Christoforos; Robinson-White, Audrey; Groussin, Lionel; Griffin, Kurt J; Stein, Erica; Levine, Elizabeth et al. (2006). "A genome-wide scan identifies mutations in the gene encoding phosphodiesterase 11A4 (PDE11A) in individuals with adrenocortical hyperplasia". Nature Genetics 38 (7): 794–800. doi:10.1038/ng1809. PMID 16767104.
- "Sapio Sciences Announces Top 5 Pharma Licenses Exemplar LIMS". LIMSfinder.com. 22 April 2007. Archived from the original on 22 April 2007. https://www.limsforum.com/sapio-sciences-announces-top-5-pharma-licenses-exemplar-lims/51178/. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- Proffitt, Allison (22 February 2012). "ELN Excellence: The New Lab Notebooks". Bio IT World. Cambridge Healthtech Institute. http://www.bio-itworld.com/2012/02/22/eln-excellence-new-lab-notebooks.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Sapio Sciences Exemplar LIMS 4.0". Scientific Computing. 15 June 2010. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120311231308/http://www.scientificcomputing.com/Products-Sapio-Sciences-Exemplar-LIMS-4.0-061510.aspx. Retrieved 01 June 2020.
- "Sapio's Laboratory Information Management (LIMS) Solutions". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 2014. Archived from the original on 04 November 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141104122256/http://www.sapiosciences.com/lims_products.php. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Sapio Announces Exemplar NGS LIMS 2.0 with Hosted Option". Sapio Sciences, LLC. 10 November 2015. https://www.sapiosciences.com/news/Sapio-Announces-Exemplar-NGS-LIMS-2-0-with-Hosted-Option. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Exemplar Clinical LIMS Software". Sapio Sciences, LLC. Archived from the original on 29 June 2021. https://web.archive.org/web/20210629184634/https://www.sapiosciences.com/clinical-lims-software. Retrieved 07 October 2021.
- "Exemplar Seamless ELN". Sapio Sciences, LLC. Archived from the original on 29 June 2021. https://web.archive.org/web/20210629190901/https://www.sapiosciences.com/electronic-lab-notebook-software-eln. Retrieved 07 October 2021.
- Rychlewski, C.; Brodwin, E. (2 December 2022). "GHO buys lab informatics player Sapio Sciences". AXIOS. https://www.axios.com/2022/12/02/gho-buys-lab-informatics-sapio-sciences. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio Lab Management Software". Sapio Sciences, LLC. Archived from the original. Error: If you specify
|archiveurl=, you must also specify
|archivedate=. https://web.archive.org/web/20230310193808/https://www.sapiosciences.com/lab-management-software. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "The market’s only science-aware lab informatics platform". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/products/lab-informatics-platform/. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "A Science-Aware Approach to Lab Informatics" (PDF). Sapio Sciences, LLC. April 2023. https://www.sapiosciences.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Sapio-Science-Aware-Guide.pdf. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio Jarvis". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/products/jarvis/. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio ELN". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/products/electronic-lab-notebook/. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio LIMS". Sapio Sciences, LLC. https://www.sapiosciences.com/products/lims/. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio ELN" (PDF). Sapio Sciences, LLC. April 2023. https://www.sapiosciences.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Sapio-ELN-Product-Sheet.pdf. Retrieved 02 June 2023.
- "Sapio LIMS" (PDF). Sapio Sciences, LLC. April 2023. https://www.sapiosciences.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Sapio-LIMS-Product-Sheet.pdf. Retrieved 02 June 2023.