|Original author(s)||Mike Macgirvin|
|Developer(s)||Friendica development team|
|Initial release||January 11, 2012(2.37)|
2022.12 (December 20, 2022 )[±]
|Preview release||none [±]|
Social networking software,|
Personal information management software
Friendica is free open-source social web server software.
Friendica began in July 2010 as "Mistpark," a decentralized social networking platform developed by Mike Macgirvin. Not long after Macgirvin changed the name to "Friendika," citing "no easy way to distill the concept [of Mistpark] into something memorable and also tie it to its purpose - that of social communications." Development continued on Friendika until a disagreement arose about perceived limitations in the GNU General Public License (GPL). On September 25, 2011, Macgirvin announced he had forked the project and named the new fork "Free-Friendika," to be provided under the MIT license. On October 29, 2011, the development team of Friendika publicly announced it would be changing its name to "Friendica" as "the original spelling was turning out to be detrimental to our project and mission." The first public release under the "Friendica" name occurred on January 11, 2012 as version 2.37.
The main features of Friendica include:
- decentralized architecture
- administrator interface
- app support
- military-grade message encryption
- private conversations
- private profiles
- anonymous viewing
- status updates of unlimited length
- post-published edit support
- events support
- photo support
- federation and protocol support
- relationship management
While client-side software can be installed on multiple platforms, server-side software installations are currently only supported on Linux-based systems.
Installation requirements for conjoon include:
- Apache with mod-rewrite enabled and "Options All" so you can use a local .htaccess file
- PHP 5.2 or greater; PHP 5.3 is required for communications with the Diaspora network and improved security
- MySQL 5.x or greater
Consult the installation guide for more of the fine details.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- Screenshots of Friendica can be found on the site.
- A demo of Friendica is available, though registration is required. Accounts are temporary.
Entities using Friendica
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Friendica 2.37 released". Friendica. 11 January 2012. Archived from the original on 21 August 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130821151206/http://friendica.com/node/14. Retrieved 08 May 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Macgirvin, Mike (17 June 2012). "Second anniversary of first public preview of "Mistpark - Personal Edition", now known as "Friendica"". Mike Macgirvin. https://macgirvin.com/display/mike/185171. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- ↑ Macgirvin, Mike (25 September 2011). "All license text that I have added to Friendika has now been removed.". Mike Macgirvin. http://macgirvin.com/display/mike/40236. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- ↑ "What's in a name?". Friendica. 29 October 2011. Archived from the original on 21 August 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130821104811/http://friendica.com/node/10. Retrieved 08 May 2017.
- ↑ "Friendica > Features". Friendica. Archived from the original on 06 August 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130806111046/http://friendica.com/features. Retrieved 08 May 2017.