|President||Timothy D. Sands|
|Location||Blacksburg, Virginia, United States|
|Colors||Chicago maroon and burnt orange|
Virginia Tech — formally Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University — is a public research university located in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. The university also has six other regional campuses and offers a study-abroad site in Switzerland. The university is organized into nine colleges and a graduate school, offering some 250 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The university is classified as a research university with very high research activity by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. The university enrolled more than 32,600 students, and it ranked 74 among all national universities and 27 among "Top Public Schools" according to U.S. News & World Report's 2016 rankings.
The following bioinformatics-related options exist for potential students:
- Ph.D. in Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology
- 90 credit hours; "Requirements will differ among the specialty tracks, with some tracks requiring more coursework, with correspondingly fewer credit hours of Research and Dissertation."
- Available online? No
- Program URL: https://gbcb.graduateschool.vt.edu/about.html
- "About Virginia Tech". Virginia Tech. https://www.vt.edu/about.html. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Standard Listings". Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Indiana University. http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/lookup/standard.php. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Virginia Tech". U.S. News & World Report - Best Colleges. U.S. News & World Report LLP. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/virginia-tech-3754. Retrieved 14 December 2016.