ASTM E1578 (titled Standard Guide for Laboratory Informatics) is an active standard developed by ASTM International, specifically Subcommittee E13.15 on Analytical Data. According to a 2012 press release from the committee, the standard exists primarily because "the use of electronic laboratory notebooks, cloud computing, and the adoption of lean principles has lead to an evolution in the use of LIMS and related analytics currently employed across laboratory environments."
As of January 2022[update], seven goals are associates with the standard as it relates to laboratory information management systems and other laboratory informatics applications:
- to provide educational material to those new to laboratory informatics
- to provide educational material to those already applying laboratory informatics to laboratories and associated areas
- to provide educational material to those who develop and distribute laboratory informatics applications and instrumentation
- to describe and recommend a standardized body of terminology to both developers and users
- to describe and recommend a body of requirements that are essential to system functions
- to provide recommendations for tasks and documentation secondarily related to laboratory informatics, including costing, implementation, and training
- to provide recommendations for integrating laboratory informatics applications and processes into workflow
The standard was previously released as E1578-93 (1993), E1578-93(1999) (1999), E1578-06 (2006), and E1578-13 (2013). ASTM E1578 not only covers applications of informatics to general laboratories but also to environmental, life science, medical, industrial, and public sector labs. The 2018 update brought with it new insights into laboratory informatics tools and how to integrate them into laboratory workflow, and with other hardware and software. And though relatively in their infancy in laboratory application, the revision added content about the application of the internet of things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), and smart objects to the laboratory.
- ↑ "ASTM Molecular Spectroscopy Committee Invites Participation in Revision of Laboratory Information Management Systems Standard". ASTM International. 7 March 2012. https://newsroom.astm.org/astm-molecular-spectroscopy-committee-invites-participation-revision-laboratory-information. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "ASTM E1578-18 Standard Guide for Laboratory Informatics". ASTM International. 23 August 2019. https://www.astm.org/e1578-18.html. Retrieved 07 January 2022.
- ↑ Jones, J. (2018). "ASTM 1578 (Scope & Elements of Laboratory Informatics)". MindMeister. https://cdn2.mindmeister.com/943721819/astm-e1578-scope-elements-of-laboratory-informatics?fullscreen=1. Retrieved 19 March 2020.