- an ordered test or group of tests on an individual or sample item;
- a specimen that has been formally received by a laboratory or health care service, typically receiving an accession number;
- the act of logging or documenting the demographics and/or receipt of a specimen in the lab.
Many larger laboratories will have an accessioning area where samples are received, processed, logged, and assigned an identifier before being distributed for analysis. Samples are typically logged into a LIS, LIMS, or proprietary database; given a unique identifier or accessioning number; barcoded or given an RFID tag; and even given additional preparations before storage and/or analysis. Additionally, demographic, medical, and ethical information and appropriateness (in the case of genetic tests, for example) may be researched and applied to the received sample and its corresponding database entry.
- "The Free Dictionary - accession". Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. McGraw-Hill; Farlex. 2002. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/accessioning. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Lele, R. D. (2005). Computers in Medicine. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 0070585350. http://books.google.com/books?id=P59Amgibb-4C&pg=PA150. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Esteridge, Barbara H.; Reynolds, Anna P.; Walters, Norma J. (2000). Basic Medical Laboratory Techniques (4th, revised ed.). Cengage Learning. p. 8. ISBN 0766812065. http://books.google.com/books?id=qMgAbOHSlsMC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Mayo Clinic - Anatomic Pathology in Minnesota". Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/anatomicpathology-rst/accessioning.html. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Capital Health - Specimen Accessioning and Processing (Lab Receiving)". Capital Health. http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/pathology-laboratory-medicine/specimen-accessioning-and-processing-lab-receiving. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Leonard, Debra G. B.; Bagg, Adam, ed. (2007). Molecular Pathology in Clinical Practice (Illustrated ed.). Springer. p. 567. ISBN 0387332278. http://books.google.com/books?id=Z2YNhh51SmQC&pg=PA567. Retrieved 27 April 2013.