|Initial release||October 9, 2007(3.0.1)|
3.6.15 Build 18025 (June 15, 2015 )[±]
|Preview release||none [±]|
|Type||Learning management software|
|License(s)||Common Public Attribution License 1.0|
eFront was a web-based open-source learning management software. The software was available in a free Community edition and an Enterprise edition.
eFront was created by Greek company Epignosis in 2002 as part of a funded EU project. By 2004 SCORM support was being built into the software. After several years of development, the software was released under the open source model to help "improve the quality of the product and make it known to the learning community", followed by a move to the United States. A SourceForge project was started for the software on October 6, 2007, followed a few days later by a Freecode project. The first public open-source release arrived as version 3.0.1 on October 9, 2007. The release schedule has been steady since, with the latest Community edition arriving as version 3.6.12 on December 24, 2012.
Awards and recognition
In April 2010 eFront won a bronze award for "Best Advance in Learning Management Technology for Small- and Medium-Sized Businesses" category from Brandon Hall Research.
In September 2012 eFront won an Award of Excellence for "Best Learning Management System" and a "Best Open Source Solutions" award from Elearning! Magazine.
In early 2018, a message appeared on the project's SourceForge page indicating the eFront Community edition had been discontinued in 2015.
The main features of the Community edition of eFront included:
- content management
- project management
- glossary and file library
- lesson rules
- SCORM 1.2 support
- e-mail support
- forums, commenting, and chat
- user, lesson, course, and system reporting
- import and export tools
Installation requirements for eFront include:
- PHP version 5.2 or greater
- MySQL 5.x or greater
- a web server (Apache 2+ recommended; can work with Apache 1.x, IIS, nginx, or lighttpd)
Consult the installation guide (archived) for more information.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- Video tutorials for eFront can be found on the website.
- A demo of eFront is available via the eFront site.
- Documentation for eFront can be found here.
Entities using eFront
Entities who used eFront include:
Arkys, ChemDry, Engel, Flexlink, Fujitsu, Honeywell, Kalsec, Karachaganak, Lavipharm, Leighton, Lenzing Fibers, Mobile Money, Panasonic, Pinnacle Services, Starbucks, Telus, University of South Carolina
- eFront on Open Hub
- eFront on GitHub
- eFront on Freecode (deprecated)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "eFront - Refreshing eLearning > Files > efrontlearning > eFront older versions". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/efrontlearning/files/efrontlearning/eFront%20older%20versions/. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ Fraysse, Sébastien (2 June 2010). "Interview of the week: eFront". Knowledge Decision. http://www.lms-selection.com/en2/?p=87. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "eFront - About Us". Epignosis LLC. http://www.efrontlearning.net/about-us. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "eFront - Refreshing eLearning". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/efrontlearning/. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "eFront". Freecode. http://freecode.com/projects/efrontlearning. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "Winners of the 2009 Brandon Hall Excellence in Learning Technology Awards". Brandon Hall Research. Archived from the original on 05 May 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100505161036/http://www.brandon-hall.com/awards/award_winners/lta2009_winners.shtml. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "Best of Elearning! 2012 Award-Winners Named". Yahoo!; PRWeb. 26 September 2012. http://news.yahoo.com/best-elearning-2012-award-winners-named-021621203.html. Retrieved 05 January 2013.
- ↑ "eFront - Refreshing eLearning". SourceForge. 13 February 2018. Archived from the original on 14 June 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180614010510/https://sourceforge.net/projects/efrontlearning/. Retrieved 26 August 2020.
- ↑ "Enterprise LMS from eFront". Epignosis LLC. Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20150207064514/http://efrontlearning.com/functionality-matrix. Retrieved 26 August 2020.
- ↑ "eFront - Used and loved by hundreds of organizations around the globe". Epignosis LLC. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131231215923/http://www.efrontlearning.net/customer-stories. Retrieved 26 August 2020.