|Initial release||November 17, 2003|
[ (April 13, 2021 ) ±]
Asset management software|
Network management software
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v2|
GLPI, an initialism for Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique (Free Management of Computer Equipment), is an open-source network and asset management application that anyone can use to manage and track aspects of a business's assets, from the maintenance history of computer hardware to the location and quantity of consumables. It features enhanced functionality like a job-tracking system with mail notification and methods to build a database with basic information about the network topology.
Bazile Lebeau was the primary catalyst behind GLPI, when in early 2003 the government agency he was working asked him to deploy an IT asset management solution. Researching existing open-source projects, he found a promising one called IRMA; however, Christian Bauer, the maintainer of IRMA, informed Lebeau that no further work was going to be done on the project. Despite the news, Lebeau took the source code for IRMA and modified it to fit the needs of his employer, implementing it in April 2003. Having already founded Indepnet, a non-profit promoting the development and implementation of free software, with friend Jean-Mathieu Doléans, the two eventually decided to take on the IRMA project with the help of free software hub Gna!, though the duo inevitably had to rename the project to GLPI.
The first stable release of GLPI was published as version 0.20 on November 17, 2003. Progress was slow at first, with version 0.40 being released on October 5, 2004, and multilingual support of the software and website announced a few months later.
In September 2005, Indepnet announced that GLPI was installed on 50,000 PCs and growing. That same month, GLPI developers met with the developers of OCS Inventory NG, a free inventory application, in Paris to discuss the specifics of a collaboration and strong integration between the two projects' software offerings.
In July 2007, the total number of GLPI installs was estimated at 300,000
On March 31, 2011, news broke that CIGREF, a French association promoting digital literacy, had ranked GLPI (with OCS) as the twelfth most mature open-source solution, as cited by 19 major companies interested in or utilizing open-source software. Later that year, Indepnet announced that 2,000 entities were utilizing GLPI on over 1.2 million machines.
With the September 23, 2016 release, version numbers were shifted a decimal place to the right, going from 0.90.5 to 9.1.
Major features of GLPI include:
- multi-entity management
- multi-user management
- multilingual support
- robust search tools
- pagination system
- user-based security
- multiple data export options
- inventory management
- ticket and request management
- tracking and monitoring features
A full list of features for GLPI can be found on the website.
Base requirements for the installation of GLPI include:
- a MySQL database install of >4.1.2
- PHP5 or later with session support
For all installation requirements and instructions, reference the GLPI website.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
You can take a tour of GLPI screenshots on the website.
Indepnet also offers several tutorial videos of the software.
Entities using GLPI
Examples of entities that use GLPI include:
Asian Hospital and Medical Center, Bentleigh Bayside Community Health, Carestream Health France, Chicago Climate Exchange, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Debiopharm, Faculty of Pharmacy at University of Montreal, GSLAB, G-Tech Transportes e Logistica, Health Administration of Crete, Heart Center Medical Group, Lab of Elementary Particle Physics at Cornell University, Laboratorio ELEA, Laboratory of Aerodynamics Studies at University of Poitiers, METU Central Laboratory, Micro Labs Ltd., National Veterinary School of Alfort
A full directory of GLPI users can be found at the GLPI website.
- "The Mail Archive of GLPI Development". The Mail Archive. http://email@example.com/mail13.html.
- "GLPI - Documentation". Indepnet. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?rubrique18.
- GLPI wiki
- GLPI forum
- GLPI at Freecode
- IRMA, the open-source project GLPI was based on
- Gna!, the free software hub that played a part in the GLPI project
- "GLPI-Project - Roadmap". Indepnet. 17 November 2003. https://forge.indepnet.net/projects/glpi/roadmap?&completed=1&with_subprojects=0. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "GLPI version 0.2". Indepnet. 17 November 2003. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?page=annonce&id_breve=5&lang=fr&debut_autres_breves=60. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Stademann, Jörn; Bazile Lebeau (16 August 2007). "History of GLPI". Indepnet. http://www.glpi-project.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7330. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Indepnet - Qui sommes nous?". Indepnet. http://www.indepnet.net/article.php3?id_article=4. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Renaissance". Indepnet. 22 September 2003. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?page=annonce&id_breve=1&lang=fr&debut_autres_breves=60. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "GLPI version 0.2". Indepnet. 5 October 2004. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?page=annonce&id_breve=6&lang=fr&debut_autres_breves=60. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Multilinguisme". Indepnet. 15 December 2004. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?breve10&debut_autres_breves=60. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "50.000 PC gérés sous GLPI : Merci à vous!". Indepnet. 6 September 2005. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?breve44&debut_autres_breves=60. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Le Nain, Bruce (10 December 2005). "Journal : OCSinventory bientôt en RC1, nouveau site... et futur avec GLPI". LinuxFr.org. http://linuxfr.org/users/brucelenain/journaux/ocsinventory-bientôt-en-rc1-nouveau-site-et-futur-avec-glpi. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "GLPI et les 300 000". Indepnet. 25 July 2007. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?breve116&debut_autres_breves=40. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Filippone, Dominique (31 March 2011). "Les DSI du CAC40 dressent leur classement des solutions Open Source". Le Journal du Net. http://www.journaldunet.com/solutions/dsi/open-source-et-grandes-entreprises-le-rapport-du-cigref.shtml. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "GLPI enregistre sa 2000éme référence". Indepnet. 7 July 2011. http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?breve238&debut_autres_breves=. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "glpi-project/glpi - Releases". GitHub. https://github.com/glpi-project/glpi/releases. Retrieved 05 January 2017.