|Original author(s)||Terry Yoo|
|Developer(s)||ITK development team|
|Initial release||October 24, 2002(1.0.0)|
[ (July 25, 2019 ) ±]
|Preview release||±](December 23, 2019 ) [|
|Type||Imaging informatics software|
ITK (Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit) is a free open-source software toolkit for performing segmentation (the identification and classification of data found in a digitally sampled representation) and registration (the alignment of data between two disparate sources), typically in images acquired from one or more imaging modalities. It should be noted this software is a toolkit meant to develop an imaging application and is not an imaging application itself.
In 1999, the National Institutes of Health's U.S. National Library of Medicine awarded a three-year contract to the Insight Software Consortium to develop an open-source registration and segmentation toolkit for imaging data. The consortium was made up of three commercial partners: GE Corporate R&D, Kitware, Inc., and MathSoft (now known as Insightful). It was also made up of three academic partners in the University of North Carolina, University of Tennessee, and University of Pennsylvania. On January 24, 2000, the first commit was made to the project's new GitHub repository. Several beta release were made to GitHub before the first stable release of the software arrived as version 1.0.0 on October 24, 2000. After the contract was up, Kitware, Inc. continued as "an active participant, contributing not only technical developments but also building and strengthening the community."
- data representation and access using two principal classes
- numerous data processing pipelines
- IO framework
- support for spatial objects
- registration framework
- FEM framework
- level set framework
- numerous utilities
Consult the software guide for more information.
- a C++ compiler
For more about installing, consult chapter two of the software guide.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
Entities using ITK
- "Releases - InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK". GitHub. https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/releases?after=v3.16.0. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "ITK - About". Kitware, Inc. http://www.itk.org/ITK/project/about.html. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- "ENH: added README". GitHub. 24 January 2000. https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/commit/9eff002d378222d1c111afdf0eb5bae5f2f0aaeb. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "The Insight Toolkit". Kitware, Inc. http://www.kitware.com/opensource/itk.html. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "ITK - Participants". Kitware, Inc. http://www.itk.org/ITK/project/parti.html. Retrieved 10 June 2010.