Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise
Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) is an international not-for-profit initiative by the healthcare industry to improve the way computer systems in healthcare share information. IHE focuses on the development of open and global IHE Integration Profiles and on the regional deployment of interoperable IT systems. Because of its limited resources, IHE concentrates on specific projects. It solicits proposals; and after surveying its members to better understand their priorities, it chooses areas to focus on.
IHE gathers case requirements, identifies available standards, and develops technical guidelines that manufacturers can implement. IHE also stages a "Connectathon" and an "Interoperability Showcase" (through HIMSS) in which vendors assemble to demonstrate and promote the standards-based interoperability of their products. More than 300 manufacturers have demonstrated support for one or more of these IHE-supported Connectathons and Showcase.
On October 27, 1997, a group of radiologists and information technology experts got together to discuss the need for an organized coalition dedicated to managing and exchanging electronically patient information more effectively. Headed by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) and the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), the meetings led to the creation of the IHE that same year.
- "IHE Connectathons: A Unique Testing Opportunity". IHE International. http://www.ihe.net/connectathon/. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Interoperability Showcase - HIMSS - IHE". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. http://www.interoperabilityshowcase.org/. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "IHE Connectathon Results Browser". IHE International. http://connectathon-results.ihe-europe.net/. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Carr, Chris (28 June 2005). "IHE Achievements: History and Expanding Role in Developing Interoperable Health Systems" (PPT). IHE International. pp. 5–9. http://www.ihe.net/Participation/upload/IHE_Achievements_cdc.ppt. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise - IHE USA" (PDF). IHE USE. 8 July 2010. p. 1. http://www.iheusa.org/docs/aboutiheusa_001.pdf. Retrieved 23 May 2012.