|Developer(s)||Roman Konertz, others|
|Initial release||December 23, 2010(Alpha 0.3.9.5)|
[ (January 20, 2014 ) ±]
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v3|
Open-LIMS is a free extensible open-source project management suite designed to be organism- and structure-independent. Its design is based upon a workflow that encompasses pre-experimental and experimental processes. Post-experimental procedures such as data analysis can be added through software extensions. 
Open-LIMS appears to be the brainchild of Roman Konertz, a graduate student with the "Dictyostelium discoideum Functional Analysis" project at the University of Cologne. A SourceForge project was started for Open-LIMS on November 24, 2010, followed by the first public release of the software about a month later. The release was classified as an unstable alpha "for evaluation and testing purpose only."
Until 2014, no stable production-ready version of the software had been released, with unstable test releases being released from 2011 to 2012. A stable version 0.4.0.0 was finally released on January 20, 2014.
The features of Open-LIMS are not yet clear. However, Konertz claims the features of Open-LIMS are closely tied to the needs of biological laboratories working in functional genomics, especially those in microarray and microscopy projects.
Preliminary requirements can be found here.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
Early screenshots of Open-LIMS can be found at the Open-LIMS website.
Demo information can be found here.
Entities using Open-LIMS
- Konertz, Roman (23 December 2011). "Upcoming changes and improvements in 2012". Roman Konertz. http://www.open-lims.org/development-blog-reader/items/upcoming-changes-and-improvements-in-2012.html. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "Open-LIMS - Concept". Roman Konertz. http://www.open-lims.org/concept.html. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Eichinger, Ludwig. "Dictyostelium discoideum Team". Institute for Biochemistry, University of Cologne. http://www.uni-koeln.de/med-fak/biochemie/transcriptomics/. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "Application Range". Roman Konertz. http://www.open-lims.org/application-range.html. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Konertz, Roman (23 December 2010). "Preview-Version is ready for download now". Roman Konertz. http://www.open-lims.org/news---reader/items/preview-is-ready-for-download-now.html. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Konertz, Roman (20 January 2014). "Version 0.4.0.0 published". Roman Konertz. http://www.open-lims.org/news---reader/items/version-0400-published.html. Retrieved 28 April 2014.