|Original author(s)||Christopher G. Mann|
|Initial release||May 11, 1999(1.2.5)|
[ (February 4, 2021 ) ±]
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v3|
OpenCart is a free open-source eCommerce application most often used to create and manage online storefronts.
OpenCart originally began as software developed by Christopher G. Mann, the technical manager and web administrator for online vendors Walnut Creek CDROM and The FreeBSD Mall. The software was originally developed in 1998 for Walnut Creek CDROM, with a private release of version 1.0.0 arriving on January 28, 1999. Mann eventually made the software — which was then developed in Perl — open-source and publicly available, with the first public release arriving on May 11, 1999. A SourceForge project was started for the software on November 07, 1999, though the project saw little activity there. Progress on the software stalled by 2000, with Mann posting a message on April 11 stating "other commitments are keeping me from OpenCart development."
No real news was released regarding the software for several years, with the domain for the website eventually expiring on February 2, 2005. Around sometime in 2005 the project landed in the hands of then Britain-based software developer Daniel Kerr, though it's not clear how. Open-source development quietly began on the software again, though the software was reworked from the ground up (including reversioning from the 0.x level), this time using PHP. A related open-source project was eventually started on Google Code in late 2006 or early 2007. Beta development continued on the software until the first stable release of the new PHP version arrived on Google Code as version 1.1.1 on February 10, 2009. Development has continued steadily since, primarily headed up by Kerr.
The main features of OpenCart include:
- unlimited category, product, and manufacturer entries
- template support
- image management
- multiple currency and tax rate support
- coupon support
- product review and ratings
- related products
- downloadables support
- PCI compliant
- search engine optimization (SEO) tools
- back up and restore tools
- invoicing and reporting
- error logging
Installation requirements for OpenCart include an online host which features:
- a web server (preferably Apache)
- PHP 5.2 or greater
For full installation requirements and procedures, see the documentation.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- Videos for OpenCart can be found on the site.
- Screenshots for OpenCart can be found on Softpedia.
- A couple demos of the software can also be found via the OpenCart website.
Entities using OpenCart
- Yilmaz, Murat (August 2010). OpenCart 1.4: Beginner's Guide. Packt Publishing. pp. 240. ISBN 9781849513029. http://www.packtpub.com/opencart-14-beginners-guide/book.
- Hasan, Tahsin (March 2011). OpenCart 1.4 Template Design Cookbook. Packt Publishing. pp. 328. ISBN 9781849514309. http://www.packtpub.com/opencart-14-template-design-cookbook/book.
- "OpenCart". Christopher G. Mann. Archived from the original on 22 October 1999. http://web.archive.org/web/19991022054418/http://www.opencart.com/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- Mann, Christopher G. (19 March 1999). "Suggestion, Linux ldconfig /etc/defaults/rc.conf". MavEtJu.org. http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-emulation&id=534454. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- Mann, Christopher G.. "OpenCart - Revision Notes". Christopher G. Mann. Archived from the original on 22 October 1999. http://web.archive.org/web/20000824114244/http://www.opencart.com/Changes. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencart/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart". Christopher G. Mann. Archived from the original on 20 May 2000. http://web.archive.org/web/20000520104704/http://www.opencart.com/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart". Network Solutions. Archived from the original on 05 March 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20050305070428/http://www.opencart.com/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart - Team Members". Daniel Kerr. Archived from the original on 30 November 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20051130022626/http://www.opencart.com/Team-Members/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart". Daniel Kerr. Archived from the original on 15 June 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060615041558/http://opencart.com/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "open-cart". Google. Archived from the original on 05 January 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070105232305/http://code.google.com/p/open-cart/. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart v1.1.1". Google. 10 February 2009. http://code.google.com/p/opencart/downloads/detail?name=opencart_v1.1.1.zip&can=1&q=. Retrieved 02 January 2013.
- "OpenCart Features - Introduction". OpenCart Limited. http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=feature/feature. Retrieved 02 January 2013.