|Original author(s)||Maarten Balliauw|
|Initial release||February 23, 2007(1.0.0)|
[ (Spreadsheet: December 21, 2022 ; Presentation: November 25, 2017 ; Word: November 15, 2022 ) ±]
|Type||Document management software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v2.0|
PHPOffice is a collection of free open-source PHP libraries for reading and writing files from a wide variety of document formats. Currently there are three projects associated with PHPOffice: PHPSpreadsheet, PHPPresentation, and PHPWord. (Previous names for the first two were PHPExcel and PHPPowerPoint.) The libraries for all projects are built on Microsoft's OpenXML standard and PHP.
The PHPOffice "collection" didn't really come together until a GitHub project was started on June 10, 2012, incorporating the PHPExcel, PHPPowerPoint, and PHPWord projects. Members of that GitHub project included Maarten Balliauw, original creater of PHPExcel, and Mark Baker, a key developer/coordinator for all three projects.
PHPSpreadsheet (formerly PHPExcel)
In December 2006, developer Maarten Balliauw began working on PHP-based Excel 2007 classes "to check how hard it could be to create Excel 2007 files using PHP5." Encouraged by his progress, Balliauw continued with the open-source project, hosted on Microsoft CodePlex. This eventually led to a version 1.0.0 release of those classes as PHPExcel on February 23, 2007. Of the tree PHPOffice projects, PHPExcel remains the most active one as of January 2013, with a stable release of 1.7.8 arriving in October 2012.
PHPPresentation (formerly PHPPowerPoint)
An alpha version (0.1.0) of PHPPowerPoint was introduced to Microsoft CodePlex by PHPExcel developer Maarten Balliauw on April 25, 2009.
A beta version (0.6.0) of PHPWord was introduced to Microsoft CodePlex on March 20, 2010, followed by an updated 0.6.2 in July 2011.
- create an in-memory spreadsheet representation
- manage spreadsheet meta-data
- add worksheets
- add data and formulas to cells
- merge and protect cells
- support for numerous functions like hyperlinks and resizing
- data validation
- worksheet references
- image management
- print options
- output as and read various formats
- create an in-memory presentation representation
- manage presentation meta-data
- add slides
- support for fonts, styles, formatting, fills
- image management
- print options
- various output formats
PHPWord Insert and format...
- document sections
- text elements
- text breaks
- page breaks
- images and binary OLE-Objects
- header and footer
- native titles and table-of-contents
- list elements
- basic templates
Installation requirements for PHPOffice vary based upon the project. Consult each project page for more details.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
Documentation for the PHPOffice projects can be found in the following places:
Entities using PHPOffice
- PHPOffice on GitHub
- PHPExcel on Microsoft CodePlex (Old and deprecated)
- PHPWord on Microsoft CodePlex (Old and deprecated)
- PHPPowerPoint on Microsoft CodePlex (Old and deprecated)
- Balliauw, Maarten (23 February 2007). "PHPExcel 1.0.0 final". Maarten Balliauw. http://blog.maartenballiauw.be/post/2007/02/23/phpexcel-1-0-0-final.aspx. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "PHPOffice - Members". GitHub. https://github.com/PHPOffice?tab=members. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Balliauw, Maarten (18 January 2007). "Excel2007 in PHP - Project status". Maarten Balliauw. http://blog.maartenballiauw.be/post/2007/01/18/excel2007-in-php-project-status.aspx. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Balliauw, Maarten (25 April 2009). "PHPPowerPoint 0.1.0 (CTP 1)". Microsoft CodePlex. http://phppowerpoint.codeplex.com/releases/view/26621. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "PHPWord 0.6.2-1 Beta". Microsoft CodePlex. 8 July 2011. http://phpword.codeplex.com/releases/view/49543. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "PHPExcel - Features". Microsoft CodePlex. http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Features&referringTitle=Home. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "PHPWord - Home". Microsoft CodePlex. http://phpword.codeplex.com/. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "PHPPowerPoint - Features". Microsoft CodePlex. http://phppowerpoint.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Features&referringTitle=Home. Retrieved 13 January 2013.