|Developer(s)||ReportLab Europe Ltd.|
|Initial release||June 20, 2000(0.94)|
[ (July 12, 2022 ) ±]
ReportLab is a free open-source document creation engine for generating PDF documents and custom vector graphics. It has been available in a free open-source version since 2000; however, the company also offers a commercial version of the product called ReportLab PLUS.
ReportLab has its origins through the creation of New York-based ReportLab, Inc. in January 2000. However, plans for ReportLab evolved before that, with an open-source project starting on Sourceforge in December 1999. The founders of the company saw a need for document-generation technology that would meet the growing needs of businesses. The first known stable version is 0.94, released on June 20, 2000, with a 1.0 version arriving a month later.
In 2001 the company moved its operations to London and began operation as ReportLab Europe Ltd. A flurry of releases were made between 2001 and 2005. As the software matured, releases of the open-source version slowed to an average of one a year. The open-source ReportLab is still developed and offered as of June 2015.
The main features of the free open-source ReportLab:
- graphics canvas API that "draws" PDF pages
- charts and widgets library for creating reusable data graphics
- page layout engine builds documents from elements such as headlines, paragraphs, fonts, tables and vector graphics
- automatic production
- generate multiple PDFs at the same time
- Diagra charting toolkit
- Python (versions 2.7, 3.3, or 3.4)
- an updated Python package installer (pip)
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- A wide variety of documentation, including a user guide and tutorials, can be found here.
Entities using ReportLab
The following entities are known to have used some form of ReportLab:
Allenbridge, Fidelity, Hewlett Packard, Hilton Hotels, Langham Hotels, NASA, Newcastle University, Oxfam, REIS, University College London, Wikipedia, Zhone Technologies
- "reportlab / CHANGES.txt". ReportLab Europe Ltd. https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/reportlab/src/186f3923093a274e4912bde812d6ec50a07984c1/CHANGES.txt?at=default. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "ReportLab". Sourceforge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/reportlab/. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "About ReportLab". ReportLab Europe Ltd. https://www.reportlab.com/about/. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- Chan, D. (21 April 2020). "Sunsetting Mercurial support in Bitbucket". BitBucket. https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket. Retrieved 26 August 2020.
- "Mercurial". ReportLab Europe Ltd. https://hg.reportlab.com/hg-public/. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Open Source". ReportLab Europe Ltd. https://www.reportlab.com/opensource/. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Case Studies". ReportLab Europe Ltd. https://www.reportlab.com/casestudies/. Retrieved 27 August 2020.