|Initial release||February 12, 2016(1.0)|
[ (December 1, 2018 ) ±]
|Written in||Ruby on Rails|
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||Mozilla Public License Version 2.0|
sciNote was conceived as an idea in 2014 by a group of life science researchers and software developers at BioSistemika LLC. The team went through focus groups, market analysis, and product design before creating a beta of the software in October 2015. The following month, the group turned to crowd-funding site Kickstarter to acquire additional funding. Regarding why the funds were needed, the team stated: "The biggest challenge is to make it available for everyone on a secure server. To achieve this we need to create a robust user management system and establish a cloud environment." After meeting their funding goal, the team went on to solve those challenges, eventually releasing the source code to the public on February 12, 2016. BioSistemika also began to offer hosting and installation/service plans for the software. The developer also announced it would be demonstrating the software at the Experimental Biology 2016 conference in San Diego at the beginning of April 2016.
A new entity sciNote, LLC was created in Wisconsin in May 2016 to be the sole entity responsible for the continued development and support of the software.
Features of sciNote include:
- data sharing
- workflow management
- tagging and commenting
- keyword search
- customizable PDF reporting
As of 2016, development of the platform is ongoing; for information on the most current release and associated features, visit the project's website. sciNote source code, compiled binaries, documentation, etc. are professionally maintained and freely available under the Mozilla Public License Version 2.0.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
sciNote is free and open-source. For more about sciNote's license and free nature, please reference sciNote's Github page.
sciNote, LLC offers various professional services related to their product, including SaaS-based web hosting.
Installation requirements for sciNote include:
- Docker and Ruby on Rails, both of which are automatically downloaded and installed during the installation process.
Consult the readme found on GitHub for more.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
The following videos are available demoing sciNote:
- sciNote open source scientific notebook – Tutorial
- sciNote - Open Source Scientific Notebook
- sciNote animation video
The following documentation exists:
- As of August 2016[update], the only public documentation for sciNote is the installation help found on GitHub.
Entities using sciNote
- "Initial commit". GitHub. GitHub, Inc. 12 February 2016. https://github.com/biosistemika/scinote-web/commit/055298fee87cc260de4f3c5b1761aa5fac56ffc6. Retrieved 01 April 2016.
- sciNote Team (11 February 2016). "sciNote is launched!". Kickstarter. Kickstarter PBC. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2039813795/scinote-open-source-scientific-notebook/posts/1489098. Retrieved 01 April 2016.
- "biosistemika/scinote-web". GitHub. GitHub, Inc. https://github.com/biosistemika/scinote-web. Retrieved 01 April 2016.
- Zupancic, K.. "sciNote - Open Source Scientific Notebook". Kickstarter. Kickstarter PBC. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2039813795/scinote-open-source-scientific-notebook/description. Retrieved 01 April 2016.
- "sciNote - Plans". sciNote.net. BioSistemika LLC. http://scinote.net/plans/. Retrieved 01 April 2016.
- "Company News". BioSistemika.com. BioSistemika LLC. http://biosistemika.com/company-news/. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- "sciNote, LLC". Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions. https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpSearch/Details.aspx?entityID=S109830&hash=1542989105&searchFunctionID=09533f41-f1d6-4fe0-99c8-21cee7de4bbd&type=Simple&q=scinote. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "sciNote - Tour". sciNote.net. sciNote, LLC. http://scinote.net/tour/. Retrieved 30 August 2016.