|Developer(s)||Chair for Bioinformatics and Information Mining at University of Konstanz|
|Initial release||July 28, 2006(1.0.0)|
4.7.0 (December 6, 2022 )[±]
|Preview release||none [±]|
|Type||Data management and analysis software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v3.0|
KNIME (Konstanz Information Miner) is a free open-source data management and analysis platform that manages "data access, data transformation, initial investigation, powerful predictive analytics, visualisation and reporting."
In early 2004, a team of at the University of Konstanz software developers with experience developing pharmaceutical applications began working on a new collaboratory research tool for data management, analysis, and visualization. On July 28, 2006, a version 1.0.0 was released to the public as free open-source software.
Version 2.0 of the software was introduced in December 2008 with a new workflow engine and database functionality. With the release of version 2.1.0 on October 23, 2009, KNIME moved from the Aladdin Free Public License to the GNU General Public License, v3.0. The December 2010 release of 2.3.0 brought KNIME to Mac OS X for the first time.
Development for KNIME has been steady since its debut.
Release dates for all KNIME releases can be found here and here (archived).
The main features of KNIME include:
- extensible via a well-defined API for plugin extensions
- import/export of workflows
- parallel execution on multi-core systems
- command line version for "headless" batch executions
Modules supply additional functionality like:
- retrieve data from files or data bases
- pre-processes input data in various ways
- visualize data and results through several interactive views
- hilited data points in one view are also immediately hilited in all other views
- data mining algorithms like clustering, rule induction, decision tree, etc.
No requirements are listed on the installation page.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- KNIME documentation
- KNIME screenshots
- KNIME current download
- KNIME previous downloads
- An online source code repository is seemingly not available as of May 2014.
Entities using KNIME
- Berthold, Michael R.; Cebron, Nicolas; Dill, Fabian; Gabriel, Thomas R.; Kötter, Tobias; Meinl, Thorsten; Ohl, Peter; Sieb, Christoph; Thiel, Kilian; Wiswedel, Bernd (2008). "KNIME: The Konstanz Information Miner". In Preisach, C.; Burkhardt, H.; Schmidt-Thieme, L.; Decker, R. (PDF). Data Analysis, Machine Learning and Applications. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. pp. 319–326. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-78246-9. ISBN 9783540782469. http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/bioml2/publications/Papers2007/BCDG+07_knime_gfkl.pdf.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "KNIME: News". University of Konstanz. 3 June 2008. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20080719035912/http://www.knime.org/news.html. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- ↑ "KNIME - Professional Open-Source Software". KNIME.com AG. http://www.knime.org/. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "KNIME Open Source Story". KNIME.com AG. http://www.knime.org/knime-open-source-story. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "KNIME - Changelogs". KNIME.com AG. https://tech.knime.org/changelogs. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- ↑ "Download KNIME Desktop & SDK". KNIME.com AG. http://www.knime.org/node/81. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- ↑ "KNIME - Features". KNIME.com AG. http://www.knime.org/features. Retrieved 27 May 2014.