|Initial release||August 26, 1998|
[ (March 16, 2021 ) ±]
Network management software|
User management software
|License(s)||OpenLDAP Public License|
OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of the platform-independent Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) developed by the OpenLDAP Project and is released under its own BSD-style license called the OpenLDAP Public License. Several common Linux distributions include OpenLDAP Software for LDAP support. The software also runs on BSD-variants, as well as AIX, Android, HP-UX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Microsoft Windows, and z/OS.
The OpenLDAP Project was started on August 25, 1998 by Kurt Zeilenga, followed up with a release of version 1.0 the next day. The project started by cloning the LDAP reference source from the University Of Michigan, where a long-running project had supported development and evolution of the LDAP protocol. The program moved up to version 2.0 a couple of years later.
As of May 2012, the OpenLDAP Project has three core team members: Howard Chu (Chief Architect), Pierangelo Masarati, and Kurt Zeilenga.. There are numerous other important and active contributors including Luke Howard, Hallvard Furuseth, Quanah Gibson-Mount, and Gavin Henry.
Additionally, the OpenLDAP Project is home to a number of sub-projects:
- Fortress - Role-based identity access management Java SDK
- JLDAP - LDAP Class Libraries for Java
- JDBC-LDAP - Java JDBC - LDAP Bridge Driver
Some of the primary features of OpenLDAP include:
- LDAPv3 support
- IPv6 support
- LDAP over IPC
- updated C API
- LDIFv1 support
- enhanced stand-alone LDAP server
OpenLDAP installation requirements vary based on the features desired. Those prerequisites can be found on OpenLDAP's FAQ-O-Matic.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
A few OpenLDAP instructional videos can be found on YouTube.
Entities using OpenLDAP
- "OpenLDAP Software 2.4 Administrator's Guide". OpenLDAP Foundation. http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/.
- "What is LDAP?". Gracion Software. http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html.
- "ftp.ntua.gr:/mirror/OpenLDAP/openldap-release/". National Technical University of Athens. http://ftp.ntua.gr/mirror/OpenLDAP/openldap-release/. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Zeilenga, Kurt (27 August 2007). "Development of OpenLDAP - Re: Reminder: 10 Year Anniversary next year". gmane.org. http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.openldap.devel/5524. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "OpenLDAP Public License for 2.4.30". OpenLDAP Foundation. http://www.openldap.org/software/release/license.html. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "OpenLDAP Release Road Map". OpenLDAP Foundation. http://www.openldap.org/software/roadmap.html. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "The OpenLDAP Project Overview". OpenLDAP Foundation. http://www.openldap.org/project/. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "25.1.1. OpenLDAP Features". Red Hat Enterprise Linux Deployment Guide. Red Hat, Inc. 2007. http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-ldap-v3.html. Retrieved 15 March 2012.