Book:COVID-19 Testing, Reporting, and Information Management in the Laboratory
|This is a LIMSwiki book, a collection of LIMSwiki articles that can be easily saved, rendered electronically, and ordered as a printed book.
|Edit this book:||·|
|Select format to download:||
|Order a printed copy from these publishers:|
|[ Start ] [ FAQ ] [ Basic help ] [ Advanced help ] [ Feedback ] [|
COVID-19 Testing, Reporting, and Information Management in the Laboratory
Title: COVID-19 Testing, Reporting, and Information Management in the Laboratory
Edition: Fall 2020
Author for citation: Shawn E. Douglas
License for content: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Publication date: November 2020
This guide discusses the evolving status of laboratory testing, reporting, and information management for the COVID-19 disease and pandemic. The focus is primarily on testing and reporting in the United States, but other parts of the world are also addressed. It also examines the disease's history, what makes it difficult to combat, and what diagnostic testing methods are currently available. Additionally, the guide examines what testing workflow for COVID-19 is like, along with the equipment, software, and reporting required by testing labs, as well as additional benefits and challenges of laboratory informatics in disease testing and public health. This guide closes with final remarks, as well as a listing of associated resources, including guidance documents, web portals, and key reading.
This guide is published in a time when information about COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 virus is still changing rapidly. An attempt to make small, incremental updates to the guide will be made as the state of reasearch and testing continues to shift. The occasional major update will increment the edition a full number. November's Fall 2020 edition brings with it a number of small additions and updates, including updates on statistics, long-term health issues, testing guidance, available test kits, coding and reporting issues, interoperability, and contact tracing, among other topics. (NOTE: The PDF output of this guide fails to properly list the references. To see the original document, with references, see here.)
- About this book
- 1. Overview of COVID-19 and its challenges
- 1.1 COVID-19: The terminology
- 1.2 COVID-19: History and impact (so far)
- 1.3 Challenges of managing the disease in the human population
- 2. Diagnostic testing of COVID-19 and other coronaviruses
- 2.1 Testing terminology
- 2.2 Testing conducted on previous coronaviruses
- 2.3 Organizational and agency guidance on COVID-19 testing
- 2.4 Current test methods and their differences
- 3. Adding COVID-19 and other virus testing to your laboratory
- 3.1 What methodologies will you use?
- 3.2 What kind of space, equipment, and supplies will you need?
- 3.3 What other considerations should be made?
- 4. Workflow and information management for COVID-19 (and other respiratory diseases)
- 4.1 Laboratory informatics and workflow management
- 4.2 Laboratory informatics and reporting requirements
- 4.3 Additional benefits and challenges of informatics in disease testing and public health
- 5. Final thoughts and additional resources
- 5.1 Final thoughts
- 5.2 Key guidance documents
- 5.3 Web portals
- 5.4 Key journal articles
- 5.5 Public health lab directory
- 5.6 Test kit and other resources
- 5.7 Public health laboratory informatics vendors