|Developer(s)||NextGen Healthcare, Inc.|
|Initial release||July 18, 2006(1.0)|
[ (November 29, 2022 ) ±]
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||Mozilla Public License 1.1|
NextGen Connect (formerly Mirth Connect) is a free open-source health care integration engine that "translates message standards into the one your system understands," including data formats and standards like HL7, DICOM, ANSI X12, ASCII, and XML.
NextGen Connect began as "Mirth," developed by WebReach, Inc., with its first public open-source release on SourceForge on July 18, 2006. By April 2009, popularity of the commercial version of the open-source project had grown significantly enough to warrant a change in company name and product, to Mirth Corporation and Mirth Connect respectively. By 2010 the company began moving its content from SourceForge to its own company website.
In September 2013, Quality Systems, Inc. acquired Mirth Corporation to boost its subsidiary NextGen Healthcare's platform by integrating Mirth Connect functionality. Quality Systems added: "Quality Systems, Inc. will maintain the Mirth brand identity, office, team, and products and will continue to market Mirth's commercial solutions and serve as the hub for the Mirth Connect open-source community."
In 2018, Quality Systems, Inc. changed its name to NextGen Healthcare, Inc. as part of a merger of Quality Systems' subsidiaries. This roughly coincides with
Despite its promise to "maintain the Mirth brand identity," NextGen Healthcare announced a change of solution name from Mirth Connect to NextGen Connect on March 1, 2018.
Old release dates
These are the known release dates of older stable Mirth Connect releases, taken from the release notes (unless otherwise cited):
Features of NextGen Connect include:
- view and reprocess messages
- monitor interface statistics and connections
- support for numerous transfer protocols
- ability to write custom connectors
- support for numerous data formats and health care data standards
- interface tools
- flexible databasing
- alerts and notifications
NextGen Connect requires an installation of Java. The developers recommend the official Oracle OpenJDK distribution. The installation comes with an Apache Derby database, but it also supports PostgreSQL 8.3+, MySQL 5.6+, Oracle 10gR2+, snf SQL Server 2005+, as of version 3.9.
Installers are available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X / macOS.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
A user guide, which includes screenshots, can be found here. (PDF)
An upgrade guide is also available.
Entities using Mirth Connect
- NextGen Connect community wiki
- Community forums
- NextGen Connect on GitHub
- NextGen Connect on Docker Hub
- Mirth Connect on Freecode (old)
- "Mirth Project". WebReach, Inc.. 18 July 2006. Archived from the original on 20 July 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060720201034/http://mirth.sourceforge.net/. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "WebReach, Inc. Unveils Mirth – Healthcare Industry’s First Open Source HL7 Messaging Middleware". Mirth Corporation. 18 July 2006. http://www.mirthcorp.com/news/webreach-unveils-mirth. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "NextGen Connect User Guide for version 3.9" (PDF). NextGen Healthcare, Inc. 16 April 2020. https://www.nextgen.com/-/media/files/nextgen-connect/nextgen-connect-39-user-guide.pdf. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "WebReach, Inc. Becomes Mirth Corporation". Mirth Corporation. 23 April 2009. http://www.mirthcorp.com/news/webreach-inc-becomes-mirth-corporation. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Mirth Connect FAQ - I’ve heard of Mirth, is Mirth Connect the same thing?". Mirth Corporation. http://www.mirthcorp.com/products/mirth-connect#1. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Miliard, M. (9 September 2013). "Quality Systems acquires Mirth Corp.". Healthcare IT News. https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/quality-systems-acquires-mirth-corp. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- NextGen Healthcare (September 2012). "Quality Systems, Inc. Acquires Mirth Corporation". Quality Systems, Inc. http://investor.nextgen.com/news-releases/news-release-details/quality-systems-inc-acquires-mirth-corporation. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Quality Systems, Inc. Changes Name to NextGen Healthcare, Inc.". BusinessWire. 7 September 2018. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180907005036/en/Quality-Systems-NextGen-Healthcare. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- Brauer, J. (1 March 2018). "Mirth Connect is now NextGen Connect". Mirth Project Forums. https://forums.mirthproject.io/forum/mirth-connect/general-discussion/17141-. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Mirth Connect - Release Notes". Mirth Corporation. http://www.mirthcorp.com/community/issues/browse/MIRTH#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel&allVersions=true. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Seamless, Scalable, and Supported Interoperability with NextGen Connect Integration Engine". NextGen Healthcare, Inc. https://www.nextgen.com/products-and-services/integration-engine. Retrieved 27 August 2020.