|Original author(s)||Erik Dahl|
|Initial release||November 15, 2006|
[ (March 31, 2022 ) ±]
|Written in||Python, Zope|
|Type||Network management software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v2|
Zenoss Core (sometimes referred to as simply Zenoss) is an open-source application, server, and network management platform based on the Zope application server. Zenoss Core provides a web interface that allows system administrators to monitor availability, inventory/configuration, performance, and events. An enterprise version of Zenoss Core is also available from Zenoss, Inc., the corporate patron of Zenoss Core.
Programmer and network engineer Erik Dahl, "unimpressed with the state of systems management tools," worked with former colleague Bill Karpovich in 2005 to form Zenoss, Inc., what is now the corporate sponsor of Zenoss Core. On March 20, 2006, the duo started the Zenoss Core project on SourceForge. By November 2006, Zenoss released version 1.0 of its Zenoss Core. Version 2.0 quickly arrived in June of 2007. A month later, the company released Zenoss Enterprise Edition 2.0, seeing a competitive need "against proprietary solutions, such as HP OpenView and IBM Tivoli."
Version 3.0 of Zenoss Core in July 2010. Strong demand for service assurance and cloud management, feeding into Zenoss, Inc.'s Enterprise product, eventually led to Zenoss, Inc. being ranked 22 among the 500 fastest growing companies in North America by professional service firm Deloitte in late 2011.
- a configuration management database
- inventory and change tracking
- availability monitoring
- performance monitoring
- log monitoring
- event management
- web portal and dashboard
- API, XML, and Python integration
- product-extending "ZenPacks"
- reporting and graphs
Videos, screenshots, and other media
Take a screenshot tour of Zenoss Core on Ostatic.com.
Documentation for Zenoss Core can be found here.
Entities using Zenoss Core
Examples of entities that use the open-source and commercial versions of Zenoss Core include:
Australian Government Attorney-General's Department, Broadcom, CodeRyte, Deutsche Bank, LinkedIn, Mercy Medical Center, Motorola, Nature Publishing Group, PMC-Sierra, Science Applications International Corporation, SugarCRM, Temple University, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States Marine Corps, University of Chicago, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Energy, Van Genechten Packaging, WebMD
- "Zenoss Community > Zenoss Documentation". Zenoss, Inc.. http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation.
- Badger, Michael (2011). "Zenoss Core 3.x Network and System Monitoring". Packt Publishing. http://www.packtpub.com/zenoss-core-3-x-network-and-system-monitoring/book.
- "Zenoss Releases Version 1.0 of Core Product". Zenoss, Inc. 15 November 2006. https://www.zenoss.com/about/news/zenoss_releases_version_10_core_product. Retrieved 03 May 2016.
- "Zenoss Community > About Zenoss". Zenoss, Inc. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120325092850/http://community.zenoss.org/community/about. Retrieved 03 May 2016.
- "Zenoss Core". SourceForge.net. Archived from the original on 01 June 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120601094723/http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenoss/. Retrieved 03 May 2016.
- "Zenoss Releases New Version of Open Source IT Management Product". Business Wire. 11 June 2007. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20070611005833/en/Zenoss-Releases-Version-Open-Source-Management-Product. Retrieved 03 May 2016.
- Michael Kerner, Sean (19 July 2007). "Zenoss Aims For The Enterprise". InternetNews.com. http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3689851. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Zenoss 3.0 Simplifies IT Infrastructure Monitoring". Zenoss, Inc. 20 July 2010. https://www.zenoss.com/about/news/zenoss_30_simplifies_it_infrastructure_monitoring. Retrieved 03 May 2016.
- "Zenoss Ranked Number 22 Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte's 2011 Technology Fast 500". Yahoo! Finance. 19 October 2011. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Zenoss-Ranked-Number-22-iw-698556680.html. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- Hinkle, Mark (14 September 2009). "Zenoss Core - Open Source IT Management". Zenoss, Inc.. Archived from the original on 06 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20150406012643/http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2614. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Zenoss Core Planning Guide: Release 5.1.2" (PDF). Zenoss, Inc. 2016. https://www.zenoss.com/sites/default/files/documentation/Zenoss_Core_Planning_Guide_r5.1.2_d1031.16.118.pdf. Retrieved 03 May 2016.