ASTM E1578-13 (titled Standard Guide for Laboratory Informatics) is an active standard developed by ASTM International, specifically Subcommittee E13.15 on Analytical Data. According to a 2012 press release from the committee, the standard exists primarily because "the use of electronic laboratory notebooks, cloud computing, and the adoption of lean principles has lead to an evolution in the use of LIMS and related analytics currently employed across laboratory environments."
- to provide educational material to those new to laboratory informatics
- to provide educational material to those already applying laboratory informatics to laboratories and associated areas
- to provide educational material to those who develop and distribute laboratory informatics applications
- to describe and recommend a standardized body of terminology to both developers and users
- to describe and recommend a body of requirements that are essential to system functions
- to provide recommendations for tasks secondarily related to laboratory informatics, including implementation and training
- to provide recommendations for integrating laboratory informatics applications and processes into workflow
- "ASTM Molecular Spectroscopy Committee Invites Participation in Revision of Laboratory Information Management Systems Standard". ASTM International. 07 March 2012. http://www.astmnewsroom.org/default.aspx?pageid=2721. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "ASTM E1578 - 13: Standard Guide for Laboratory Informatics". ASTM International. http://www.astm.org/Standards/E1578.htm. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Revised Laboratory Standard Approved by ASTM". Machinery Lubrication. Noria Corporation. January 2014. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29612/astm-laboratory-standard. Retrieved 17 December 2014.